• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

John Currie has fucked this up, he has shown us who he is. Whoever goes to bball games next year is just as incompetent as the decision makers at the top. Our bball season has been over for 3 weeks and Currie still has his thumb up his ass.

John Currie has fucked this up, he has shown us who he is. Whoever goes to bball games next year is just as incompetent as the decision makers at the top. Our bball season has been over for 3 weeks and Currie still has his thumb up his ass.

I just agreed with you on another thread. But the take of John Currie fucked this up is just not true. Currie was always going to give Danny the 2019-2020 season. He was always going to fire him this year and BAM! Pandemic. People dying. Donors losing millions of dollars. Uncertainties of a basketball season this year. It makes no sense for Currie to do anything until we know what the hell the future holds.

Last edited:
It would look pretty bad for wake to hire a multimillion dollar b-ball coach as they were in a hiring freeze / doing mass furloughs / layoffs. More bad news for us, it’s unlikely basketball revenues could get much worse so there’s no real budget problem presented by hiring Manning.

I just agreed with you on another thread. But the take of John Currie fucked this up is just not true. Currie was always going to give Danny the 2019-2020 season. He was always going to fire him this year and BAM! Pandemic. People dying. Donors losing millions of dollars. Uncertainties of a basketball season this year. It makes no sense for Currie to do anything until we know what the hell the future holds.

Totally agree with Creamy here. The 2020-21 season will very possibly be an abbreviated season that starts later than planned. I love college hoops .. but, gosh, as a country we have bigger priorities - as does Wake, institutionally.

But, but wait. We've got this entire law school.

Pretty much every schook is going to be dealing with financial fallout from the current crisis.

This is the first school to do this but I bet it won't be the last
Iowa St is instituting one-year cuts to coaches pay and bonuses as 2 of 6 measures they are currently implementing to try to deal with a projected $5M shortfall due to COVID19

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-coaches-to-make-up-for-financial-challenges/

When you don't even have the money to pay your current coaches tell me exactly how you plan to pay for a new coach.

Pretty much every schook is going to be dealing with financial fallout from the current crisis.

This is the first school to do this but I bet it won't be the last
Iowa St is instituting one-year cuts to coaches pay and bonuses as 2 of 6 measures they are currently implementing to try to deal with a projected $5M shortfall due to COVID19

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-coaches-to-make-up-for-financial-challenges/

When you don't even have the money to pay your current coaches tell me exactly how you plan to pay for a new coach.

As has been previously posted, we have access to an entire law school. Just reneg on the Manning contract and let the lawyers figure it out.

We've got a plan.

Iowa State may be first to announce this. They won't be the last.

I would guess attorneys at Wake and every other school are looking at how they can legally implement similar cost cutting measures and how that would work with existing coaching contracts. As a public institution, Iowa State has certain state laws, rules and regulations baked into their employment contracts.

As a private, non-profit, Wake isn't under state employee rules. For better or for worse.

As has been previously posted, we have access to an entire law school. Just reneg on the Manning contract and let the lawyers figure it out.

We've got a plan.

So paying Manning what the contract says, damages (possibly treble) for breach plus attorney costs (both Manning's and Wake's) is a plan? Got it. [Sarcasm] Good plan.[/sarcasm]

Survey results from 110 AD's about the future due to COVID 19. It isn't pretty
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...f-coronavirus-pandemic-apparent-in-ad-survey/

86% expect to have to make 'financial sacrifices' and over 1/3 of AD's forecast at least a 30% drop in revenue

About two-thirds of respondents said the most likely outcome of the crisis for their departments is a decrease in enrollment at their schools. Slightly more than half believe there will be decreased fan interest.

More than two-thirds of ADs (67 percent) agree or strongly agree they must find a way to limit coaches' salaries.

More than half of the ADs (56 percent) say they agree a way must be found to limit buyouts.

Less than half of the Power Five athletic departments (41 percent) have sufficient financial reserves to ride out the crisis. Only 26% of Group of Five departments have enough reserves.

Over the next three months, 89 percent of ADs are most concerned about academic progress of their athletes, who are studying remotely with the shuttering of schools due to the virus.

After financial concerns, the greatest fear of ADs (39 percent) in six months is "morale and culture."

Summing up the current climate, one AD wrote, "Due to the crisis and nature of what is going on nationally, I think that this is horrible time to be implementing name, image and likeness and one-time immediate transfers. The financial landscape is going to look so much different going forward."

One last note on the Iowa St story. The $5M shortfall is simply their projected shortfall from the loss of Big 12 Tournament and NCAA Tournament revenue. It does not include any potential loss of revenue if college sports are impacted over the next 12 months (ie football and basketball this upcoming season).

And like Wake Iowa St was not going to be an NCAA Tourney team, but like the ACC the Big 12 shares its NCAA Tournament money equally among its schools.

Survey results from 110 AD's about the future due to COVID 19. It isn't pretty
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...f-coronavirus-pandemic-apparent-in-ad-survey/

86% expect to have to make 'financial sacrifices' and over 1/3 of AD's forecast at least a 30% drop in revenue

About two-thirds of respondents said the most likely outcome of the crisis for their departments is a decrease in enrollment at their schools. Slightly more than half believe there will be decreased fan interest.

More than two-thirds of ADs (67 percent) agree or strongly agree they must find a way to limit coaches' salaries.

More than half of the ADs (56 percent) say they agree a way must be found to limit buyouts.

Less than half of the Power Five athletic departments (41 percent) have sufficient financial reserves to ride out the crisis. Only 26% of Group of Five departments have enough reserves.

Over the next three months, 89 percent of ADs are most concerned about academic progress of their athletes, who are studying remotely with the shuttering of schools due to the virus.

After financial concerns, the greatest fear of ADs (39 percent) in six months is "morale and culture."

Summing up the current climate, one AD wrote, "Due to the crisis and nature of what is going on nationally, I think that this is horrible time to be implementing name, image and likeness and one-time immediate transfers. The financial landscape is going to look so much different going forward."

I'm sure 2&2, Bigboy, and others have already taken this into account.

When does the billboard go up?

I get what many of you are saying about Currie not deserving the crazy hate on this thread. I get the economic climate has collapsed and things are different than they were at the beginning of March. However, who should be held to account for the horrible decisions that were made that left Wake in the position it is in? Wellman? He got to retire with dignity and lots and lots of Wake's money. Hatch? He has gotten away with allowing a criminally absurd and unnecessary contract to be signed? The BOT? Barely a word of criticism for them. The big donors who allowed Wellman to do whatever he wanted year after year?

So what everyone is saying is that it was inevitable and bad and unpredictable things happen and it is just too bad that it happened to us? No criticism of anyone involved is allowed apparently.

I personally am angry as I was a 25 year donor to the Deacon Club. I gave up last spring after Manning was retained. The stewardship of the money donated is appalling bad if there is any truth to the contract that Manning signed. No point to continue caring about Wake basketball at all. RIP Wake BB, thanks for the memories.

^that's why the FU ron wellman thread is reasonable and this one is dumb.

Right, because 11 months is not enough time to fire someone. Blame it on the 'Rona! Just another in a long line of excuses from a group who thrives on excuses. This is LOWF in a nutshell.

Fuck John Currie with a broomstick.

I get what many of you are saying about Currie not deserving the crazy hate on this thread. I get the economic climate has collapsed and things are different than they were at the beginning of March. However, who should be held to account for the horrible decisions that were made that left Wake in the position it is in? Wellman? He got to retire with dignity and lots and lots of Wake's money. Hatch? He has gotten away with allowing a criminally absurd and unnecessary contract to be signed? The BOT? Barely a word of criticism for them. The big donors who allowed Wellman to do whatever he wanted year after year?

So what everyone is saying is that it was inevitable and bad and unpredictable things happen and it is just too bad that it happened to us? No criticism of anyone involved is allowed apparently.

I personally am angry as I was a 25 year donor to the Deacon Club. I gave up last spring after Manning was retained. The stewardship of the money donated is appalling bad if there is any truth to the contract that Manning signed. No point to continue caring about Wake basketball at all. RIP Wake BB, thanks for the memories.

All of those people are responsible. Similar to at GT with the Hewitt contract. It has taken GT a decade to dig out from that contract (it was finally paid off last year). They all deserve blame. Wellman for negotiating the contract with the Wake lawyers. Hatch and the BOT for rubberstamping it.

Let's also be honest about what has happened in the last year. Wake clearly did not have the money to buy out Manning and hire a new coach. it is also clear that 12 months later Wake still didn't have the money to both buy out Manning and hire a new coach (otherwise there would have been no reason to have negotiations - you just pay the money and move on). If you want to blame Currie for that ok, but then you also need to blame the entire Wake community for not being able to come up with enough money to buy out Manning.

The only person i won't blame is Manning, just like i never blamed Hewitt at GT - all they did was sign the contract in front of them. Every one of us would have done the same thing. and i don't blame them for never quitting. if you quit you don't get the money, so i'd keep coaching every year no matter how miserable it feels (and we don't even know if he feels miserable - my gut is he probably doesn't, as coaches are inherently optimistic people who always think a big winning streak is right around the next game). And coaches like to coach.

Right now AD's are not worried about firing coaches. They are worried about whether they are going to have to disband sport programs in their departments due to lack of revenue(and if they do making sure they do it equally between mens and womens programs so they don't run afoul of Title IX).

Right, because 11 months is not enough time to fire someone. Blame it on the 'Rona! Just another in a long line of excuses from a group who thrives on excuses. This is LOWF in a nutshell.

We're talking about people who would have at least a modicum of intelligence so that excludes you.

Last year was not about money. That's a false narrative.

Currie didn't have full control of the job until May 1 by Wellman's design. By that time, anyone we thought about hiring was basically signed. Wellman wanted to make sure that his "retirement" wasn't forever tied with Danny's firing. It was one last fuck you to Wake Forest.

Then do the billboard. Otherwise. I'm going to begin to think you guys are all talk and no action. I doubt Currie reads these boards. But he'd have to read a well-placed billboard telling him how much we hate his sorry ass. Would really make the school look good, too.

Where is it going to be? When will it be up?

Back