• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Allowing unemployment to expire hasn't put more people back to work

Yeah, once you're on the government dole, it's hard to get out of that mindset that things will be handed to you on a silver platter if you want to be lazy and watch cable TV all day. Sadly these people might be lost to us forever. :rulz:

It had always been bullshit to say this. Dems running against GOP incumbents in close districts should bring this up as well as GOP votes to cut Food Stamps and privatize Medicare. Of course, they won't have the balls to do it.

I'm still not sure how cutting unemployment benefits is supposed to create jobs and encourage employers to hire the long term unemployed.

I think our unemployment system needs an overhaul but just cutting it doesn't accomplish anything by itself.

Last edited:
Of course the opposite of this premise is absolutely true. When you cut that many people from getting unemployment benefits, you cost others their jobs. There is no question about this.

Good read. 26 weeks sounds fair to me in a decent economy, but the already unemployed should be grandfathered into the system for an additional 26 weeks.

Sign 'em up under a different name.

What does this mean?

That they should sign themselves up under a different name, or are you alleging that they are signing up under a different name to get around the unemployment benefits lapsing?

There are ways around the roadblocks to prosperity. If they try to jerk your unemployment away from you, get innovative.

So in light of the data that show that people whose benefits have been jerked away can't find work just the same, are you claiming there's a general lack of innovation going on from the unemployed?

There are ways around the roadblocks to prosperity. If they try to jerk your unemployment away from you, get innovative.

I don't think it's viewed as "your" unemployment, I think it's generally viewed as a societal safety net that advanced civilizations have. It's called compassion.

Back