• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Amazon charging sales tax in NC as of 2/1/14

waketastic

Reaction score
Didn't see this posted anywhere. That really sucks! The gap between a lot of other retailers and Amazon was already closing in regards to pricing. This might keep me from renewing my Prime subscription.

Didn't see this posted anywhere. That really sucks! The gap between a lot of other retailers and Amazon was already closing in regards to pricing. This might keep me from renewing my Prime subscription.

I use prime quite a bit and had the same thoughts before the law was enforced in VA. It really hasn't influenced much of anything. The tax is negligible compared to the shipping value you get with prime-eligible items.

Our sites (some of which sell through Amazon) are having to enforce tax in VA; its stunning how foreign of a concept that is for most of our in-state customers. I don't think we've lost many sales because of it, but you'd be amazed how often people request a discount for the price of the tax. I mean, on our end... we're already losing 100% of some sales because of the policy, i'm tempted to go smack the people who expect something like that. I'm just glad I'm not having to enforce this in New Jersey; that would be a living hell.

I have property in NC and SC...all AMZN purchases will be going through SC...otherwise use EBAY don't know if NC has gotten to them yet...

I have property in NC and SC...all AMZN purchases will be going through SC...otherwise use EBAY don't know if NC has gotten to them yet...

free 2 day shipping is worth some sales tax. Even with tax, still going to be cheaper and easier than brick and mortar stores. Or ebay

Read that SC is good until at least 2016......enjoy it while it lasts!

Read that SC is good until at least 2016......enjoy it while it lasts!

Agree, one problem with the way SC handles sales tax is the state allows local municipalities to add additional taxes. I reside in Charleston County and over the past 15 years the locals have allowed several 1/2 cent options to be passed; the effective rate for general purchases here is 8.5%. If prepared foods are purchased whether it be grocery, restaurant etc. the rate goes to 11%...politicians like to boast how the tourists are footing the bill but it does have a profound effect on the locals...

this whole saga has been really interesting. Amazon has always taken the position that unless it has a bricks & mortar presence (warehouse) in a state it doesn't have to collect sales tax. As it has grown, it now has bricks in many states, and Bezos has stated that they want to get into the same-day grocery delivery business which means putting warehouses in every state with a significant metro. Therefore, Amazon knows it will eventually have to collect sales tax in almost every state. So now, Amazon has changed its strategy and has been lobbying for all online retailers to have to collect sales taxes to "level the playing field" i.e. all play on the field that Amazon has single-handedly created to work in its favor.

this whole saga has been really interesting. Amazon has always taken the position that unless it has a bricks & mortar presence (warehouse) in a state it doesn't have to collect sales tax. As it has grown, it now has bricks in many states, and Bezos has stated that they want to get into the same-day grocery delivery business which means putting warehouses in every state with a significant metro. Therefore, Amazon knows it will eventually have to collect sales tax in almost every state. So now, Amazon has changed its strategy and has been lobbying for all online retailers to have to collect sales taxes to "level the playing field" i.e. all play on the field that Amazon has single-handedly created to work in its favor.
Good summary

It sucks paying the tax when you're used to not paying it, but it's still way more convenient/a better deal than driving to the store for a lot of purchases.

Anyone who cares about the budget shortages our state (and many others) have faced for years should be applauding this move. It's tax revenue that the state should have been collecting for the better part of the last decade.

Maybe, just maybe, the 'tards in Raleigh will put this money to good use for something like giving our teachers a raise.

Anyone who cares about the budget shortages our state (and many others) have faced for years should be applauding this move. It's tax revenue that the state should have been collecting for the better part of the last decade.

Maybe, just maybe, the 'tards in Raleigh will put this money to good use for something like giving our teachers a raise.

this.

I, for one, have always claimed my online purchases on my state tax return and am APPALLED at the sheer DISHONESTY and GREED of my fellow Deacs. This won't affect me a bit.

sike

Hahaha! Good one, Karma. I'm guessing there will be a few corporate tax breaks and lower income tax to offset this new revenue.

The NC tax form has a line to pay an estimated internet sales tax as a % of your income. Will that be going away, or will NC be double-dipping?

The NC tax form has a line to pay an estimated internet sales tax as a % of your income. Will that be going away, or will NC be double-dipping?

Don't see any reason for it to go away since Amazon is just one online retailer charging sales tax. Not really double dipping. If someone is actually reporting online sales tax, I'm sure they're more than capable of taking out anything purchased through Amazon.

Yea, I've been a prime customer for at least 4 years running now and have enjoyed it thoroughly. At the time, Amazon seemed to have a substantial price advantage over B&M stores with the majority of items I bought on there. Over the years (and especially the last year or so) that gap has narrowed signicantly. Now, take out the tax advantage and it's minimal to non-existent (again, in a lot of the repeat items I buy). The S&S option used to save you 15%, then they changed that up to where you have to have like 5 items to get 20% or just get 5% (not enough to even offset the new tax increase).

Just doesn't seem quite as awesome of a shopping choice as it once was. Oh well...never expected it to last forever!

It sucks paying the tax when you're used to not paying it, but it's still way more convenient/a better deal than driving to the store for a lot of purchases.

once you have kids you will relish the solo trip to the store.

Back