• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Amazon Fire Stick vs. Roku

Tmass1011

Reaction score
Which one is better? Getting ready to cut the cord and wanted to get some other opinions.

FireTV (not stick) is the way to go between those two. Fire Stick doesn't have a very strong wifi connection

One cool thing about the fire stick (not sure about Roku), is that you can jailbreak it and install third party android stuff on it like Kodi. I am not a programmer by any means and I just followed a step by step guide that I googled and figured it out.

I like the Roku better, can interact with it using my phone too, which has come in handy the few times the remote has decided to unsync with the stick. My Roku has an Amazon button, so quick access to Prime catalog not really a differentiator.
Fire stick is okay, but I feel like the apps are buggier or updated less frequently. Using Sling on Fire usually takes like a half minute longer to get running, and it will drop the feed the first couple of tries sometimes.

Love my Roku stick. We use it in my daughters' playroom. Easy and it works.

Can't speak to how well the Amazon stick works, but I remember doing an in-depth comparison between the two before buying and chose the Roku. I forget the specific reason(s).

I've had a Fire Stick since Christmas and it's been great. What are the knocks on it?

i've had a fire stick for over a year now. we use it on the tv the kids watch cartoons on. i have traveled with it and used it in hotel rooms or vacation rentals. it's mostly worked well.

however, i am not a big fan of the interface. it can be confusing. my major gripe is that netflix sometimes goes out. we won't be able to access it until we reboot the fire stick. a couple times i've actually had to roll back to factory settings and reinstall to get it to work.

I will say that I have both, and my summer house has spotty wifi. I can stream much more consistently with the FireTV than my FireTV Stick. In normal applications, I'm sure it will be fine.

I will say that I have both, and my summer house has spotty wifi. I can stream much more consistently with the FireTV than my FireTV Stick. In normal applications, I'm sure it will be fine.

6619e1982b5f9a02d25897e8d415d5a784a754330a6054280ef3311416397d91.jpg

One cool thing about the fire stick (not sure about Roku), is that you can jailbreak it and install third party android stuff on it like Kodi. I am not a programmer by any means and I just followed a step by step guide that I googled and figured it out.

This is very true and it makes the Firestick a very hot commodity. People will buy 5 or six at a time in a retail store in order to jailbreak them and resell. Unfortunately, it is illegal and I am waiting for someone to get the Napster treatment and get hammered with thousands of dollars in fines.

We have both Roku (stick and box) and a Firestick at my residence. We seem to like the interface better on the Roku that the Amazon product. However, it really isn't that big of a deal, just personal preference.

203294.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back