• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Amazon invests in Bally Sports

DeacKillsaDevil

Reaction score
That is good to see. I'm assuming the subscriptions will be in addition to Prime? Or will they do something similar to Spectrum where if you have the Bally channel on cable (in this case already have Prime), the Bally app for your local team is included?

Limited details available, but it looks the games will be available on Prime Video:

Part of the proposal will see Amazon make a minority investment and offer direct-to-consumer services on their Prime Video platform. That will apparently include Bally-owned games from MLB, NBA and NHL, including pre-game and post-game content. The full details of those offerings aren’t fully clear at the moment.

Amazon blows. Prime video makes you pay extra to avoid commercials. Their storefront is garbage and full of counterfeit shit. Fuck Amazon.

I despise Amazon as much as anyone, due to its impact on brick and mortar retailers, but as a Canes fan I want to be able to watch them play. The Bally app is a disaster

Amazon blows. Prime video makes you pay extra to avoid commercials. Their storefront is garbage and full of counterfeit shit. Fuck Amazon.
Fair enough, but I've never watched a basketball game on TV anywhere else where there were not commercials. So yes, I would expect there to be commercials on Prime as well.

Fair enough, but I've never watched a basketball game on TV anywhere else where there were not commercials. So yes, I would expect there to be commercials on Prime as well.
League Pass with no commercials is awesome.

From that article:
NBA and NHL officials, however, were hesitant to say anything with much certainty. Representatives for both leagues spent the day sorting through the intricacies of the Diamond-Amazon agreement. The NBA had been eager to take back streaming rights for its teams, especially given that the league's national television contracts expire after the 2024-25 season. The NHL might wait to see how open Diamond is to renegotiating some of the longer-term deals in place before the original bankruptcy announcement.

Adam Silver wants to get in bed with Amazon because it's worked out well for the NFL. But I think the NBA (and NHL) would be better off with local broadcast partners (like CW and My stations with occasional local CBS/NBC/FOX stations) to make it as easy as possible to watch 82 games. It's a bit tougher to do that for a 162 game MLB schedule.

It's also worth noting Amazon has long been considered a front-runner to be part of a new NBA agreement, alongside at least the two current partners (Disney and Turner Sports). Those negotiations are set to play out over the next several months. However this specific agreement shakes out, what seems clear is that Amazon is going to be a significant part of the NBA's broadcast future. As this calendar year plays out, we'll find out just how big of a part that will be.
An Amazon NBC game of the week makes more sense than sticking with the regional networks. Monday Night NBA starting on MLK Day for example.

Last edited:
Back