• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

American Gods

discdude

Lampin in the cut
Reaction score
Whoa, great start. TimDunk and I spoke about it, and I have to agree the lead casting is interesting. His cadence is a little more hurried (upbeat) than I remember feeling when reading. Nonetheless, great start. Great aesthetic appeal, too.

A couple of reviewers have pointed out that for Shadow to be as quiet/introspective in the show as he was in the book all the characters around him would have to go SUPER expository. The character is fine, I'm just not sold on the actor yet. He had a couple of lines that were clunkers but acting alongside Ian McShane and Jonathan Tucker hamming it out of control is tough.

Jonathan Tucker has creeped me the fuck out since Justified.

I was thinking about checking out this show since I dug the book.

Pablo Schreiber was pretty nuts too. Though I'm a Neil Gaiman fanboy, I'm coming into this series as a true tabula rasa, having never read the book, so I have the pleasure of trying to figure out who everybody is. Wednesday is pretty obvious, given the etymology of the word. The first episode certainly reeled me in for the long haul.

Second episode was okay. They seem to be on a quick path of overuse of close-up shots of inanimate objects. The last part of the episode was the best and that was the portion that was focused on the story per the book. My hope is they mellow on making it look and feel "advant-gard."

Second episode was okay. They seem to be on a quick path of overuse of close-up shots of inanimate objects. The last part of the episode was the best and that was the portion that was focused on the story per the book. My hope is they mellow on making it look and feel "advant-gard."

Hannibal never did so I wouldn't hold your breath. There were five or six awesome scenes (the opener, in the supermart, the dinner, the chess, bilquis stealing the jewels back) but everything else bored me (stuff with wife especially).

Hannibal never did so I wouldn't hold your breath. There were five or six awesome scenes (the opener, in the supermart, the dinner, the chess, bilquis stealing the jewels back) but everything else bored me (stuff with wife especially).

Blerg. I had my wife convinced on the first, but she seemed suspect (rightfully so) on the second.

Even though I'm still not 100% sure what's going on, dug the first two eps. But I like anything with Swingin in it.

Back