• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

An Apology to Bz

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Dear Bz,

I am apologizing to you on behalf of Ron Wellman, because he is too small to do it himself. Wellman surprised many people when he fired Dino Gaudio after a fairly successful season and multiple years left on his contract that cut into the money we had to spend on a new coach. Wellman then couldn't land any reasonably desirable candidates that were an upgrade over Gaudio, so he fell back on you. Most everyone realized immediately that you were not going to be successful at Wake Forest and should never have been offered the job. I don't fault you for taking it. It was a great opportunity, just not one that you could realistically succeed at. Ron Wellman dug his own hole and then threw you into it with him. As if this weren't bad enough, Wellman's lies, revisionist history, and arrogance stoked the fires of discontent that were aimed at you as coach. Much of the bullshit you had to put up with for four years was fueled by your friend, Ron Wellman.

I don't feel sorry for you, as you made millions of dollars without really producing any results, and Wake Forest fell from national prominence to irrelevance during your time with us. But your friend Ron Wellman made things x100 worse for you by mocking a passionate fan base, and for that he owes you an apology.

I'm sorry,
Turd Ferguson (on behalf of RW)

Last edited:
Dear Bz,

I am apologizing to you on behalf of Ron Wellman, because he is too small to do it himself. Wellman surprised many people when he fired Dino Gaudio after a fairly successful season and multiple years left on his contract that cut into the money we had to spend on a new coach. Wellman then couldn't land any reasonably desirable candidates that were an upgrade over Gaudio, so he fell back on you. Most everyone realized immediately that you were not going to be successful at Wake Forest and should never have been offered the job. I don't fault you for taking it. It was a great opportunity, just not one that you could realistically succeed at. Ron Wellman dug his on hole and then threw you into it with him. As if this weren't bad enough, Wellman's lies, revisionist history, and arrogance stoked the fires of discontent that were aimed at you as coach. Much of the bullshit you had to put up with for four years was fueled by your friend, Ron Wellman.

I don't feel sorry for you, as you made millions of dollars without really producing any results, and Wake Forest fell from national prominence to irrelevance during your time with us. But your friend Ron Wellman made things x100 worse for you by mocking a passionate fan base, and for that he owes you an apology.

I'm sorry,
Turd Ferguson (on behalf of RW)

There's a lot of truth to that. I guess the question to Bzzz is, was it worth the millions you made at Wake to become the most despised coach I can ever remember? Since there's a chance Bzzzz might on his way to his beach place to sit under an umbrella and sip on a Shirley Temple on this beautiful March day, he might be thinking yes it was.

Why not say:

We were very disappointed by your tenure as WF head basketball coach. Frankly we were mystified and disappointed that you were hired at all. However none of that excuses the harsh and mean-spirited treatment that we gave you and that we enabled toward you. No one except those who deliberately harm women and children should be spoken to or about as we did you. Treating a fellow human with utter disdain because he loses basketball games is a miserable moral failure on our part. Please forgive us for using brutal words toward you and your wife. Best wishes for your future endeavors.

signed: OGBoards.

Yeah, obviously a bit tongue in cheek, but Wellman made some major mistakes and Bz took a lot of heat for it. I'm not apologizing for it, just shifting some of the focus back to Wellman. And for all those Wellman supporters out there, check out the following link (maybe was posted before, but a good reminder) and see who the most expensive AD in the ACC is per basketball/football win:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/3/11/4082376/college-athletic-directors-salaries-2013

No, I think it's an excellent point. It all goes back to Wellman really. I mean what was Bzzz supposed to do, turn down the chance to move from Colorado to an ACC school making tons of money? Wellman is the one who screwed this up. Heck, I'm sure Bzzzz tried about as hard as he could, he's just not a head coach. I don't feel sorry for Bzzzz, hard to feel sorry for someone that made the money he did for being bad at your job, but the fault of the Bzzz disaster is on Ron Wellman, no one else.

It was a major mistake to tell Bz he had 2 seasons to clean up the so called mess before they would even start the clock on his watch. That set in motion a huge problem with our fanbase since we weren't in on the arrangement. Bz didn't have the personality to built any goodwill so he was sunk. Ron and his money men set this train off the track from the git-go.

No, I think it's an excellent point. It all goes back to Wellman really. I mean what was Bzzz supposed to do, turn down the chance to move from Colorado to an ACC school making tons of money? Wellman is the one who screwed this up. Heck, I'm sure Bzzzz tried about as hard as he could, he's just not a head coach. I don't feel sorry for Bzzzz, hard to feel sorry for someone that made the money he did for being bad at your job, but the fault of the Bzzz disaster is on Ron Wellman, no one else.

That's all fine. But Bz himself comes across as an ass in his interactions with people. And that is his fault. He could have been just as bad at coaching as he is and if he had just the least little bit of a likeable personality then much of the vitriol directed at him would have been refocused on Wellman. Conversely, if he had actually won games, then his personality wouldn't matter.

You can be a good basketball coach and an unlikable person or you can be a bad basketball coach and a likeable person (at least for a while) but you can't get away with being a bad basketball coach with a bad personality.

I'll be honest, I've had 1 on 1 conversations with [Redacted]. I like the guy as a person tbh. I just didn't think he was the right guy to be our coach.

That's all fine. But Bz himself comes across as an ass in his interactions with people. And that is his fault. He could have been just as bad at coaching as he is and if he had just the least little bit of a likeable personality then much of the vitriol directed at him would have been refocused on Wellman. Conversely, if he had actually won games, then his personality wouldn't matter.

You can be a good basketball coach and an unlikable person or you can be a bad basketball coach and a likeable person (at least for a while) but you can't get away with being a bad basketball coach with a bad personality.

This absolutely nailed it.

Yeah, obviously a bit tongue in cheek, but Wellman made some major mistakes and Bz took a lot of heat for it. I'm not apologizing for it, just shifting some of the focus back to Wellman. And for all those Wellman supporters out there, check out the following link (maybe was posted before, but a good reminder) and see who the most expensive AD in the ACC is per basketball/football win:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/3/11/4082376/college-athletic-directors-salaries-2013

Why does the Vandy AD make 3.2m while no one else makes above 1.5?

I'll be honest, I've had 1 on 1 conversations with [Redacted]. I like the guy as a person tbh. I just didn't think he was the right guy to be our coach.

I'm the opposite. I've had 1 on 1's with him as well. Too many actually. I can't stand the SOB! He was a terrible coach, not debatable, but that has no bearing at all on why I hated him. I hated him for being a total prick who thought he could run over anyone that didn't matter.

Another thing that Ron did was personally protect Bz on every front. Who was looking out for us fans? Not Ron he lied about their friendship from the start. He didn't hide his contempt for the rest of us. He has served too long. The BOT needs to get control of this search.

I'm the opposite. I've had 1 on 1's with him as well. Too many actually. I can't stand the SOB! He was a terrible coach, not debatable, but that has no bearing at all on why I hated him. I hated him for being a total prick who thought he could run over anyone that didn't matter.

And it could be that I talked to him before he even coached a game for us, I'm not sure. I don't know if he changed in his time at Wake but that was just my takeaway when I talked to him. He met with me in the Wake Radio studio and we chatted for a bit before I did an interview with him, which at the time the AD did not want him to do but he agreed to it anyways.

Yeah that's true, but again when Wellman talked about digging deeper yesterday, I think he didn't dig deep enough. If he had he'd have known what a complete liability Jeff [Redacted] is with the media and fans just because of his personality. I doubt Bzzzz's personality was any different at Air Force or Colorado, but for whatever reason Wellman either didn't bother to really dig into that or he just didn't care.

Back