• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Angelina Jolie

At first I thought this has to be a joke, but apparently it's not.

Hmmm, what about the ovarian cancer?

"Jolie explains that because she carries a "faulty" gene, BRCA1, "I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer"

Guess the next step is Laura Croft "Womb Raider".

Sorry, someone had to make the obvious (off color) joke.:rulz:

I've always thought that Angelina Jolie was crazy and weird, but this is a really gutsy move on her part.

I applaud her for publicizing her situation in the hope that it may influence other women to evaluate their genetic situations and perhaps take action to help save their lives.

A beauty queen already did this.

Why wouldn't this just result in hyper vigilance and preventative testing on a more frequent basis?

A beauty queen already did this.

Why wouldn't this just result in hyper vigilance and preventative testing on a more frequent basis?

Because BRAC1 and BRAC2 genes are nothing to fuck around with.

Because of a family history, my mom had a preventative double mastectomy. She still got breast cancer. Luckily it was caught early enough, but it proved the power of those little proteins.

My wife's hairdresser recently had this done. She wears a t-shirt now that reads "Yeah, they're fake. My real ones tried to kill me,"

Mourning the loss of a great set. It's a shame this kind of drastic action still needs to be taken.

Hmmm, what about the ovarian cancer?

"Jolie explains that because she carries a "faulty" gene, BRCA1, "I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer"

Guess the next step is Laura Croft "Womb Raider".

Sorry, someone had to make the obvious (off color) joke.:rulz:

She has an NYT op-ed today where she states:

"I started with the breasts, as my risk of breast cancer is higher than my risk of ovarian cancer, and the surgery is more complex."

So sounds like she plans to do something about the ovarian, but since it was a lower percentage chance (although still high at 50%) that she will deal with that later.

They get them replaced with new, fake ones. So its not all that bad.

heard recently they often have to take the nips as well. can't really reconstruct that i heard. there was a tattoo artist that was volunteering his time/skill to ink some nips for the women in need.

A friend of mine had a double 18 months ago and recently had her reconstruction. She was going to do the tattoos, but after the multiple surgeries and chemo she just wants to rest.

heard recently they often have to take the nips as well. can't really reconstruct that i heard. there was a tattoo artist that was volunteering his time/skill to ink some nips for the women in need.

From her op-ed:

"My own process began on Feb. 2 with a procedure known as a “nipple delay,” which rules out disease in the breast ducts behind the nipple and draws extra blood flow to the area. This causes some pain and a lot of bruising, but it increases the chance of saving the nipple.

Two weeks later I had the major surgery, where the breast tissue is removed and temporary fillers are put in place. The operation can take eight hours. You wake up with drain tubes and expanders in your breasts. It does feel like a scene out of a science-fiction film. But days after surgery you can be back to a normal life.

Nine weeks later, the final surgery is completed with the reconstruction of the breasts with an implant. There have been many advances in this procedure in the last few years, and the results can be beautiful."

From her op-ed:

"My own process began on Feb. 2 with a procedure known as a “nipple delay,” which rules out disease in the breast ducts behind the nipple and draws extra blood flow to the area. This causes some pain and a lot of bruising, but it increases the chance of saving the nipple.

Two weeks later I had the major surgery, where the breast tissue is removed and temporary fillers are put in place. The operation can take eight hours. You wake up with drain tubes and expanders in your breasts. It does feel like a scene out of a science-fiction film. But days after surgery you can be back to a normal life.

Nine weeks later, the final surgery is completed with the reconstruction of the breasts with an implant. There have been many advances in this procedure in the last few years, and the results can be beautiful."

In most cases involving cancer, the cancer is ductal and the nipples have to go. Tattooing has come a long way in this area, but there can still be complications, and like WFU71 said, it is another surgery piled on top of lots of treatments...so many women will forego this step.

She is probably waiting till she is somewhat older to remove her ovaries. To have them removed really does a number on your hormone levels and you get to experience menopause like symptoms immediately.

Back