• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another BSD [Redacted] Column

I could certainly understand that this was a softening of my stance which had been "fire him now at all costs". I just didn't think that was ever going to happen so I guess I accepted that.

I'm just glad to see another BzzOut convert; it's the only solace I'll get out of this season.

Last night was a turning point for me. I was BzzOut since before he was fired, never wavered in that stance, and personally disliked him from "You'd have to ask them" onward. However, while I never thought we would be good (i.e. Sweet Sixteen-caliber) under Bzz, I did think that we would have a chance to be decent (NIT, maybe sneak into the tournament if he lasted long enough). I believe I'm on record in this very forum as predicting that we'd win 15-16 games this year. After last night, I'm convinced that we'll never be anything but awful under Bzz. Before, I had a lot of anger towards Bz and Ron, actively wished for the former's removal, and enjoyed laughing at the gallows humor on here. Now I'm just depressed, totally and completely, and it sucks.

I was a little more optimistic that Jeff [Redacted] could turn this thing around than you were, but I am very much in this same train of thought. Last night was just awful on both ends of the floor. While there were a lot of open shots that our guys missed early on that could have set the tone for the game, the same mistakes over and over again are just unacceptable. It's one thing if young guys are making them (which they are), but it's another thing completely to have it carry over from Year 1 to Year 2 to Year 3 with the same players making the same mistakes.

I picked us to win 15-16 in the pre-season poll as well but said I thought we needed to win 17-18 games for Jeff [Redacted] to keep his job because he had underachieved so much in the first two years that he needed to overachieve this year to keep his job.

Obviously that is a pipe dream at this juncture.

I was also willing to give the benefit of the doubt at first, but he simply isn't a Wake Forest guy. I was trying to think what he brings to the university, and the answer is absolutely nothing. If he had some personality or engaged the student body and fan base in some way, I might be willing to give him more of a pass. But his condescending, "I'm right and you're wrong" "Fuck you, buddy" "Anybody that knows anything about basketball..." bullshit is out of line.

You know what we know? The two coaches before you had this program ranked #1 in the country. We had top recruiting classes and we had hope. You've destroyed all of that, and there is no way that you're ever taking us back to the peak of college basketball.

Ph, if you ever want to write articles for us then you are more than welcome to do so. I'd welcome your forward looking and always correct analysis of Wake Forest athletics. It will make us look a heckuva lot better once we're always right.

Be a dick about it. That's fine. If you want to call me out for things I've called wrong, please do it. It's healthy to have those types of discussions.

But seriously, I write enough long posts on this board that if you genuinely want to put something I've written on your site, just find it, let me know, and I'll clean it up for publication.

I'm just glad to see another BzzOut convert; it's the only solace I'll get out of this season.

Last night was a turning point for me. I was BzzOut since before he was fired, never wavered in that stance, and personally disliked him from "You'd have to ask them" onward. However, while I never thought we would be good (i.e. Sweet Sixteen-caliber) under Bzz, I did think that we would have a chance to be decent (NIT, maybe sneak into the tournament if he lasted long enough). I believe I'm on record in this very forum as predicting that we'd win 15-16 games this year. After last night, I'm convinced that we'll never be anything but awful under Bzz. Before, I had a lot of anger towards Bz and Ron, actively wished for the former's removal, and enjoyed laughing at the gallows humor on here. Now I'm just depressed, totally and completely, and it sucks.

I just get the sense that after last night, he's officially a dead man walking. That's it. Not a matter of if, but when he'll be fired.

Like PH, I was also Bzzout before it was cool. In 20 years I might even be the equivalent of BKF, except Dino will be my Carl Tacy. Unlike BKF, I will never turncoat and root against Wake.

Be a dick about it. That's fine. If you want to call me out for things I've called wrong, please do it. It's healthy to have those types of discussions.

But seriously, I write enough long posts on this board that if you genuinely want to put something I've written on your site, just find it, let me know, and I'll clean it up for publication.

I'm only being a dick because I was meeting the tone in your original post. I'm not going to go through your posts and find things that you have been wrong about because that's dumb and I don't care enough to do it. My point is that nearly everybody is wrong in things that they have posted on this board at one point or another.

Do you really want to take the stance that you have never been wrong before?

To act like you have never said anything on here that is wrong is just an asinine thing to do.

Another thing about writing a blog in a public forum is that you need to attempt to maintain a level head about things. As much as I would love to just write articles after every single game that go to extremes in both wins and losses, it doesn't make sense to do so.

I was cautiously optimistic until my roommate (who was a manager) came back from the first day of practice his first year. After that conversation, I knew we were in trouble.

I was also willing to give the benefit of the doubt at first, but he simply isn't a Wake Forest guy. I was trying to think what he brings to the university, and the answer is absolutely nothing. If he had some personality or engaged the student body and fan base in some way, I might be willing to give him more of a pass. But his condescending, "I'm right and you're wrong" "Fuck you, buddy" "Anybody that knows anything about basketball..." bullshit is out of line.

You know what we know? The two coaches before you had this program ranked #1 in the country. We had top recruiting classes and we had hope. You've destroyed all of that, and there is no way that you're ever taking us back to the peak of college basketball.

Somehow this is completely forgotten in the AD spin. The idea that Wake was some tragically broken program that needed a radical change was ridiculous. We just needed a great coach to finish the job other coaches started. We needed a coach who could consistently complement elite players with ACC quality players in recruiting. We needed a coach who could get gradual improvement throughout the season and peak in March. Now obviously, those guys don't grow on trees, but good ADs find those guys, and Bz clearly was not one of those guys when he was hired and was never going to be one.

I may take some slack for taking so long to come around on [Redacted] and that's fine. I'll be the first person to tell you I was wrong. I think the main point, and I believe I'm seeing it in posts from OGB and DeaconCav, is that BuzzIn's or Buzz Wait and See's certainly weren't in the majority last year, but I believe there were more of them than people were willing to admit. I now believe that Jeff [Redacted] has lost his team and completely lost his fan base. Ron Wellman should have anticipated this and taken action. He did nothing, and now he may no longer be the one who is able to make the next hiring decision.

I've been Bzz-out two days before he was hired.

#hipsterDeac

I didn't know the backstory between him and Wellman until much later. Then I knew we had a Ron Zook situation on our hands.

Unfortunately, we do not have Jeremy Foley. We have RW.

I was cautiously optimistic until my roommate (who was a manager) came back from the first day of practice his first year. After that conversation, I knew we were in trouble.

Story time?

Somehow this is completely forgotten in the AD spin. The idea that Wake was some tragically broken program that needed a radical change was ridiculous. We just needed a great coach to finish the job other coaches started. We needed a coach who could consistently complement elite players with ACC quality players in recruiting. We needed a coach who could get gradual improvement throughout the season and peak in March. Now obviously, those guys don't grow on trees, but good ADs find those guys, and Bz clearly was not one of those guys when he was hired and was never going to be one.

Well this is what Ron Wellman was trying to do. He honestly thought that if he just brought in an X's and O's guy that could coach the talent that we had then Wake Forest would be in good shape.

Obviously Jeff [Redacted] was not the correct person to do that. The players that were in place aren't exactly great players either. JTT, Ari, TC, Carson, Tabb and Travis. That's got to be one of the most overrated classes in Wake Forest history.

I'm only being a dick because I was meeting the tone in your original post. I'm not going to go through your posts and find things that you have been wrong about because that's dumb and I don't care enough to do it. My point is that nearly everybody is wrong in things that they have posted on this board at one point or another.

Do you really want to take the stance that you have never been wrong before?

To act like you have never said anything on here that is wrong is just an asinine thing to do.

Another thing about writing a blog in a public forum is that you need to attempt to maintain a level head about things. As much as I would love to just write articles after every single game that go to extremes in both wins and losses, it doesn't make sense to do so.

I don't act like that. I just posted that I would be happy to discuss something that I've gotten wrong. I'm not lying. Bring it up and let's talk about it. Do it over PM if you like. That's fine. I don't have any problem being wrong because when I'm wrong I try to correct it and be right the next time.

I thought Odom was the greatest thing since sliced bread my first two years at Wake. Heck, we won the ACC Championship those two years. But I remember when I soured on him in 1997 and I realized quickly that he was limited as a coach and managed to get the perfect talent for his limits for a short period of time. Soon it was clear that he wasn't going to do what was necessary to get us back to those peaks.

the second jeff [Redacted]'s name was mentioned as not only a candidate but the only candidate, i knew it was a grave mistake. nothing ever since has deterred me from that. the hiring of jeff [Redacted] changed how i felt about wake forest sports. i used to believe anything was possible. now i expect failure. disillusionment, among other consequences, was my reward for believing wake could be an elite program.

Story time?

I don't remember too much. I do recall the look on his face when I asked, and the worrisome tone of his voice.

BUT! I do remember a story from those first few weeks of practice. Apparently some players weren't listening to Bzzz, and he goes "YOU GUYS ARE NOT FUCKING...FUCKING....FUCKING DOING WHAT I AM TELLING YOU TO DO! WHAT THE FUCK!"

Well this is what Ron Wellman was trying to do. He honestly thought that if he just brought in an X's and O's guy that could coach the talent that we had then Wake Forest would be in good shape.

Obviously Jeff [Redacted] was not the correct person to do that. The players that were in place aren't exactly great players either. JTT, Ari, TC, Carson, Tabb and Travis. That's got to be one of the most overrated classes in Wake Forest history.

The idea that [Redacted] was an X's and O's guy who could win was (1) ridiculous based on facts and (2) another Wellman overcorrection in his hiring. Skip was an overcorrection from Odom's style and Bz was an overcorrection from Dino's style.

Yeah, but that's kind of the point: they weren't overrated at the time. And a ton of people bought the BS that Bz and Wellman spoon fed them about "culture" "culture" "culture."

Ari was actually solid under Dino.

I think what rubs me the wrong way about your approach is just that it still fails to show just how screwed up Wellman and [Redacted] have been. They've literally ruined kids' lives to make themselves look better...

With the exception of Tabb who never played and seems like a legitimate bad egg and Tony who probably perform like an average three-star-caliber recruit (which he was), the rest of those guys had a lot of promise and were not bad human beings until Jeff [Redacted] and Ron Wellman told us that they were. Who knows what they could have been without a talking asshole as a coach... You forget that good coaches really do form really good basketball players. Bad coaches form really bad basketball players.

Back