• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another lawyer thread

discdude

Lampin in the cut
Reaction score
So I live in an apartment complex. I returned from my honeymoon the other day and attempted to do some laundry. Briefly after placing the laundry in the dryer I smelled smoke. I quickly discovered it was the dryer. I opened the door and smoke came billowing out. I called the maintenance crew and they took apart the dryer and discovered an obscene amount of lint:

amynahyd.jpg

It completely covered the dryer bin. The maintenance worker proceeded to explain that for the first time last week he and his co-worker determined how to take the dryer apart. Additionally, he acknowledged that for the first times since her worked there (9 years) last year they cleaned the dryer vents. After a lot of work pulling out the lint we discovered the chard lint:

a8asybu4.jpg

He said he was going to come back and finish cleaning everything up once he took lunch. I said okay and got back to work. I came home yesterday evening and the dryer is still unusable (it was not cleaned). I called them again today and they said they would send someone out to clean it. I came home from work today and they did not clean the dryer. I called the main office and they said that maintenance was too busy to get to it today and that they would get to it tomorrow. I asked to speak to a supervisor, because I was finally starting to get pissed. She was rude beyond belief and gave me a series of bullshit responses. I feel that up to this point I have even more than reasonable with these fuckers. Now, I want to pursue this legally. Fuck them. Do I have any foot to stand on here from a negligence perspective. I was not hurt and nothing of mine was harmed beside my clothing. However, had I not been standing right next to it when the fire started it would have most certainly burned the entire complex down (there is no installed sprinkler system). Also, I live in Pennsylvania in case this of any importance. So, lawyers tell me I can go after these motherfuckers.

You're going to sue your apartment complex over a dryer? Are they going to pay you $7.50 in damages?

What would you go after them for? The cost of cleaning your smoky clothes and a few days rent for not having a usable dryer? Otherwise, what damages have there been?

Go after them for what? Your burned t-shirts? Be glad you weren't hurt and get back to honeymooning.

Yeah, this isn't the way to show your new wife that you can be the man around the house.

A bad yelp review is going to mean a hell of a lot more than whatever lawsuit you think you might file.

Think about the positives...go grab a Boston Butt and throw it in the dryer for about 10 hours. You'll have smoked and pulled pork with minimal effort.

I understand there was no damage. I am mad because as a man I can fix shit, but legally I am not allowed to per the contract with the company. So I was wondering if negligence on their end for not maintaining the dryer is something that I can argue in a civil court. I figured there wasn't anything I could do legally, but I thought I would ask.

So you are going to spend how much in lawyer fees over a few bucks in clothes? Dude, seriously.

Yeah. You could argue negligence but what are the damages?

Man you sound pissed that your honeymoon is over.

No, I am just mad that I was living with that ticking time bomb.

Thanks for chastising me. Frankly, I wanted to use the threat for leverage when dealing with these people going forward.

Last edited:
Surely the company is supposed to fix things in a timely manner, if they aren't then they are in breach of said contract (right?), so if you've given them notice of breach then there should be some period of time for them to remedy the breach until the contract is no longer applicable. (i.e. you can fix it yourself or GTFO w/o penalty) Just a thought....I'm sure it's way over simplified and I'm no lawyer....just throwing stuff that I deal with in my business contracts.

There's a lawyer willing to take this case - which speaks more to the market for lawyers than the merits of the case.

Back