• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anthony Bourdain

Not sure if this should be a tunnel thread, but yeah I love No Reservations. Must be nice, to be paid very well to travel all over the world and try different food.

Bourdain is the man. He's definitely on the "like to meet/hang out with" list.

Yup. The CNN show seems to be better produced than the old Travel Channel shows. Especially loved the Myanmar scenery. The DRC was pretty gut wrenching - ugh. Hadn't realized the Belgians were such horrific colonizers.

Yeah, the Belgian Congo stuff -- and the colonization of Africa in general -- is pretty absurdly horrific and underrepresented in U.S. history curricula.

Are the ratings for the CNN show relatively comparable to the Travel Channel shows? My fear is that although he has a lot more latitude and bigger budget at CNN, that network is going through a pretty serious reorganization, which can be pretty fickle and turn on a dime. I get the sense that there was a lot more security where he was before.

Saw him speak in Durham a year or so ago. Highly entertaining.

The Copenhagen one (Noma) was very interesting. Also enjoyed Tokyo, specifically the sushi part.

Great show, and I agree that it has improved since he moved to CNN.

Good to see someone rise from humble origins. He's really comfortable in all types of settings, and learning about a culture through its food is an interesting take. I don't run into the CNN show like I did the Travel Channel show, and this thread makes me miss it.

The Copenhagen one (Noma) was very interesting. Also enjoyed Tokyo, specifically the sushi part.

agreed; just saw this one.
I also found the Detroit one very eye-opening; I had no idea things were that deserted there.
The DRC episode was interesting, and a cool follow-up to the fact I'd just recently read The Poisonwood Bible. I appreciate how much he does explain about an area more than it just being a food/travel show.

The Colombia episode is terrific as is the Detroit one.

AB likes that episode too. His wife is Colombian and he likes the homegrown pharmaceuticals. I have his books and the man is (was) wild.

AB likes that episode too. His wife is Colombian and he likes the homegrown pharmaceuticals. I have his books and the man is (was) wild.

"Holy $#!^ that's a lot of &(*&%$^ cocaine!!!"

Which of his books is your favorite? I read "Kitchen Confidential" a few weeks ago and greatly enjoyed it. Which one would you recommend next?

Back