• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Any chance The U builds its own football stadium?

Buttermaker

Reaction score
Terrible crowd as usual for Miami's home game last night v. Va Tech, an old Big East rival. Jimmy Johnson was patroling the sidelines, and it generally seems the NFL alumns follow the program with great interest. That made me wonder if there is any legitimate push to build a smaller stadium closer to the campus. Anyone got any intel?

Terrible crowd as usual for Miami's home game last night v. Va Tech, an old Big East rival. Jimmy Johnson was patroling the sidelines, and it generally seems the NFL alumns follow the program with great interest. That made me wonder if there is any legitimate push to build a smaller stadium closer to the campus. Anyone got any intel?

I would think they would have some real estate issue.

Paying for it would be an even bigger problem these days at the U.

Yep. The interim AD was just on the local sportstalk circuit not too long ago and very politically stated this won't happen anytime soon, if ever.

If the NCAA hammers Miami when they finally penalize them, I doubt "the U" will ever be back to being a power in football. It just seems the landscape has changed since they were a power with the facilities race and such, plus the longer Miami hasn't been a power, the more people forget that they were at one time. The crowd looked embarrassing last night on TV for what should've been a big game for Miami.

It doesn't help that their games are 20 miles away from the campus. I wonder what the travel time is during rush hour traffic.

They continue to get insane talent despite shitty support, facilities and the likelihood of a bowl ban... very frustrating to compete against them in recruiting

They continue to get insane talent despite shitty support, facilities and the likelihood of a bowl ban... very frustrating to compete against them in recruiting

Since the hey-days, numerous South Florida programs have popped out as well, FAU, FIU, and USF. UCF also came along. Miami has to recruit against these teams now as well. It's tough for Da U.

If the NCAA hammers Miami when they finally penalize them, I doubt "the U" will ever be back to being a power in football. It just seems the landscape has changed since they were a power with the facilities race and such, plus the longer Miami hasn't been a power, the more people forget that they were at one time. The crowd looked embarrassing last night on TV for what should've been a big game for Miami.

Sorry, the "yep" was in agreement that there simply isn't a whole of space on campus or anywhere in the near vicinity for that matter to build a stadium.

It doesn't help that their games are 20 miles away from the campus. I wonder what the travel time is during rush hour traffic.

Bad because there's no direct route. I thought they'd pull more from the t-shirt alumni who live in Broward, but so far that hasn't happened due in large part to the product and if sanctions are in fact hard, that could be a deep hole to dig out of.

They need to just go with a Stanford-esque stadium.

I visited UM a year or two ago for the first time. Maybe I missed the good parts, but that's one ugly campus. Concrete jungle with a big muddy pond in the middle. The grass had not been mowed in I guess six months or so. I walked in the student center dining area briefly. It was like a truck stop in the third world.

Back