• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Any modem/router/networking gurus out there willing to help?

WFU03

Reaction score
I bought a new router the other day with grand dreams of flashing it, installing DD-WRT or OpenWRT, and running a VPN for all my devices at home.

I now can't even get the freakin' thing able to access the internet with the default router firmware. After some posts on tech forums, it seems like my modem is also acting as a router. People have suggested putting into bridge mode, but I can't figure out how to do it for the life of me.

It's a speedtouch 516 and where people have suggested using the web based setup and selecting bridge mode, there doesn't seem to be an option. All I see is Standard, Subnet, or Subnet with DHCP.

Anyone have any ideas what I need to do?

Is there a "setup" button when you connect to the ST516 (click Speedtouch first)? If you start there you might be able to set it to bridge mode. Also be sure to disable DHCP.

Is there a "setup" button when you connect to the ST516 (click Speedtouch first)? If you start there you might be able to set it to bridge mode. Also be sure to disable DHCP.

Yep, that's where I looked and found the three options above. Nothing related to bridge mode though.

I don't understand - you have another router that's connecting directly to your internet, and you want this one to be a bridge to that? Or you want this one router to act as the sole bridge/router?

Last edited:
Eventually, I'm looking to connect a Netgear WNDR3700 wireless router to this modem. Unfortunately, I can't get the WNDR3700 to access the internet. Everything seems fine with the setup, so people suggested that the problem is that the modem provided to me by my ISP is actually serving as both a modem and a router. I called my ISP and they confirmed that it does both. So, I want to get it to act just as a modem, but not as a router. I want to have it let the actual router do the routing.

I don't really know much at all about networking, but I thought the way to do that was to get the modem into bridge mode?

Eventually, I'm looking to connect a Netgear WNDR3700 wireless router to this modem. Unfortunately, I can't get the WNDR3700 to access the internet. Everything seems fine with the setup, so people suggested that the problem is that the modem provided to me by my ISP is actually serving as both a modem and a router. I called my ISP and they confirmed that it does both. So, I want to get it to act just as a modem, but not as a router. I want to have it let the actual router do the routing.

I don't really know much at all about networking, but I thought the way to do that was to get the modem into bridge mode?

Yeah, I mean you have to set it to bridge mode. The online manual for that device says that when you go through the setup step you can select bridge mode.

http://www.montreal-dsl.com/templates/Configure_Speedtouch_516.pdf

If that option doesn't exist, then the manual is wrong/outdated, or you're on an old firmware revision...

From the internets:
"the SpeedTouch™ needs to be configured for Bridged Ethernet or
Routed PPPoE (with PPPoE relay) via the SpeedTouch™ Home Install Wizard on the
Setup CD or the embedded Easy Setup. ."

So if there's no option in easy setup and you don't have the CD, maybe try to get a newer modem or be brave and flash the firmware. Some links in here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21153338-How-to-do-a-firmware-update-on-ST516?hifilter=

Last edited:
Has disabling DHCP on the router or the modem worked? The SpeedTouch 516 also seems to have firewall capabilities, so you'll probably want to disable that and use the firewall on the WNDR3700 instead. Obviously to get set-up, you should keep your 516's firewall going. My last thought is that the 516 might be 'attached' to one MAC address, which would require you to clone that MAC address into the WNDR3700 to get it to connect.

Back