• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anyone else hear Bill King's comments on Wellman's interview with Katz?

I thought Wellman was a little better with Davis than with Katz. He looked more tired and disengaged -- a little befuddled, even. Maybe he realized he's on thin ice.

Not sure what's more comical:

1. Bill King talking about college basketball

2. Numerous posts/threads discussing how badly Wellman is getting roasted in the media when every year the selection committee chairman gets hammered by the talking heads, "analysts", fan bases irate over seeding/exclusion from field, etc.

3. Angus/Brad ripping OGBoards posters.

people on this board and the media are acting like Wellman is some evil mastermind/incompetent buffoon (depending on POV) who was solely responsible for all the seeding. Do people really think the chair of that committee has that much pull?

As chairman, Wellman is the public face of the committee and the one who represents their decisions to the media. That's why Wellman is catching a bit of heat.

After four years with bzzz, though, he should be used to it. The fact that people aren't happy with his decisions hasn't seemed to bother him before. Oh, Heavens no!

Exactly. Although Louisville did not play in near the conference that UVa did, I could have justified a 3 seed for Louisville or even a 2 seed. But RW looked like the cat that just swallowed the canary when asked that by Katz.

For fucks sake. If you think a 3 seed is acceptable for Louisville, then a 4 seed is completely reasonable as they've said a million times that they move a team up or down a seed to make the bracket work. Which 3 seed to you want to make a 4? Not Duke. Not Syracuse? So that leaves Iowa State. Is there really a huge difference between ISU and Louisville and is it so huge that it justifies this kind of moral outrage? I don't think so. Do you want to move Kansas down to a 4 and make Louisville a 2 and have two teams from last year's Final Four play in the Sweet Sixteen? Seems short sighted if you want to maximize ratings.

And Louisville is playing in a regional located in Fucking Indinapolis that will be 80% populated by Cardinal fans. They are not getting screwed. Do you think they'd be happier as a 2 seed in Anaheim? Their OOC schedule was absolute shit, and on the few occasions that it wasn't, they lost. Louisville can schedule a game against any team in the country. Instead they played FIU. They knew their conference was garbage when they put their schedule together.

Look at this pussy complaining that BYU is seeded too high. Just so you don't have to look I'll tell you that BYU is a 10 seed. This mjotherfucker is bitching about at 10 seed for a team that's going to be out after next weekend anyway. Seriously. Quit belly aching.

I don't understand number two. Are you generally complaining about people ripping the selection committee chair, or are you complaining that people are talking about it (just like every year) when it predictably happens (just like every year) when it's an event put under a microscope?

Have no problem with people talking about it but every year the committee chairman gets hammered in the press and is second guessed by all of the experts. Every year.

Don't see how anything has changed w/r/t the Wellman backlash.

The fact that Wellman is chairing the committee now, a position that receives intense criticism anyway,
at a point when he's already been questioned continually about his primary job performance, is what
makes him look that much worse.

Re: Louisville and Mich State as 4-seeds:

Odds to win NCAA Tourney as of this morning:
UF +500
Mich St +550
Louisville, Arizona +800
Kansas +1000

That's the top 5... next is Wichita State at +1500, then UVA, Duke, and Syracuse at +1800. Nobody else below +2000.

I thought Wellman was a little better with Davis than with Katz. He looked more tired and disengaged -- a little befuddled, even. Maybe he realized he's on thin ice.

Wellman may realize that Katz has actively followed the Wake situation, or at least he had up to a couple years ago. Perhaps that made him a bit more uncomfortable talking with someone whom knows his sins, so to speak. Seth Davis probably doesn't care about Wake in the least.

The fact that Wellman is chairing the committee now, a position that receives intense criticism anyway,
at a point when he's already been questioned continually about his primary job performance, is what
makes him look that much worse.

Yeah, to you. Nobody else gives a shit.

Louisville has a 19 RPI and 12 conference games against opponents with RPIs over 140. Seeding them 4 is hardly the crime of the century.

people on this board and the media are acting like Wellman is some evil mastermind/incompetent buffoon (depending on POV) who was solely responsible for all the seeding. Do people really think the chair of that committee has that much pull?

Marquee does, because she's dumb

Re: Louisville and Mich State as 4-seeds:

Odds to win NCAA Tourney as of this morning:
UF +500
Mich St +550
Louisville, Arizona +800
Kansas +1000

That's the top 5... next is Wichita State at +1500, then UVA, Duke, and Syracuse at +1800. Nobody else below +2000.

Do you have the odds as of 5:30pm yesterday? My guess is that Mich St. was not 2nd overall, but once people saw the bracket, they liked Mich St more (despite them being a 4 seed). Plus they can play the disrespected card. Louisville might have been in the same spot pre-bracket.

All these people screaming. I haven't heard Louisville complaining. The numbers don't really matter. The tourney is all about match ups. They probably like the teams they have to play. The toughest team in their bracket is Duke. And I know a team that just beat them a couple of weeks ago.

Louisville is #3 in the current coaches' poll. Wichita St. is #2. Having to play them in the Sweet 16 round just sucks. On the bright side for Louisville, they are less than 2 hours away from Indy, the site of their regionals.

Can't get video to play but I assume Katz didn't ask about Wellman's coaching issues?

Do you think that was agreed upon or Katz is just a big pussy?

Katz is not a fan of Wellman. He's friends with Dino and thinks Dino got screwed by Wellman. Good reason for discomfort in that interview.

Back