• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anyone Ever Fly Ethiopian Air?

DeacHawk

Punishingly Intricate
Reaction score
Looking at flights and they are pretty good on price but internet reviews are hit or miss. Obviously if you have a bad experience you are more likely to complain about it but just curious if anyone has any anecdotal experience.

Thanks.

A friend has been to ethiopia for jesus a couple of times recently and she and her friends all looked happy in the pics they posted on their ethiopian air flights... but it could have been the jesus and not the airline.

Had a great flight from DC to Addis about 18 months ago. Had some hairy moments confirming tickets with their US connection flights but the actual flight itself was excellent.

Since Haile Selassie is their George Washington and a Rasta hero, do they offer ganja on their flights?

Last edited:
Had a great flight from DC to Addis about 18 months ago. Had some hairy moments confirming tickets with their US connection flights but the actual flight itself was excellent.

I hear Addis is sketchy, as can be in that part of the world. Thoughts?

that's what I meant, the layover part

It's an international airport so I wouldn't have any concerns there at all. I was tired so I found some empty chairs and tried to nap up against my bag for a bit. You have to leave the secure gates area to get to the airport food/shops and I didn't feel like it so I just chilled there for a few hours.

AND563.pvw.jpg

Bourdain had an interesting episode in Addis like maybe a year ago. Got some of the history over the last 50 years too.

I've spent some time in Addis and my wife was there for about 5 weeks in 2011.

The airline is fine - pretty comparable to South African Air, maybe a little older planes. But no concerns. In flight entertainment is more limited than on Delta, etc. with more Kenyan/Bollywood movies.

If you are going to be in Addis for a bit, let me know and I'll shoot you some recs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked up Addis Ababa on Wikipedia since I don't know much about it. Talk about a place with perfect climate.

IamThunderbolt - Have you travelled outside of Addis? I was looking into hiking in the Simien Mountains and a visit to the South Omo tribal area. Was wondering how difficult it would be to do on my own.

IamThunderbolt - Have you travelled outside of Addis? I was looking into hiking in the Simien Mountains and a visit to the South Omo tribal area. Was wondering how difficult it would be to do on my own.

We went to Gonder for a few days. Toured Fasilides and hiked an afternoon in the Simien mountains (you see lots of baboons and colobus monkeys)

It wasn't too bad. The flight was easy enough, and had some pretty cool views of Lake Tana. We had it pretty easy because we had arranged a driver before we left Addis. It was a good time, but we did make the noob mistake of not understanding what would have a fee and agreeing/negotiating prices before we did some things (mainly disagreements on what was included in what we paid the driver for and what was extra)

Back