• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anyone have an X5?

I had a '03 X5 and I am currently driving a '07 X5.

I have liked them both, but for different reasons. I liked the '03 better overall.

the '03 (old body style) was smaller, Im single and have no kids, so I really only need room enough room for hauling random stuff like small furniture, landscaping stuff, golf clubs etc. It was perfect for that. Also, the 3.0 inline six with that smaller body style was very fast and got pretty decent mileage (18 city, 27 or so hwy) However, since it was an '03 it didnt have all the BMW tech bells and whistles.

My '07 has all of the bells and whistles (iDrive, iPod connector, GPS, Bluetooth, Sat Radio), and they work really well and I like them. However, I still went with the inline six (they call it a 35 now but its just a slightly souped up version of the prior 3.0 inline 6). With the increase in size and weight though, the car is noticably less quick (although still way quicker and more responsive than any comparable) than the prior version. I kinda like the extra space on the interior, but the reduced power is disappointing. Ive also had a bit more trouble with all the electronics in the new one, but that was when I first bought the car and has sorted itself out since. I chalk it up probably to buying the first model year of a redesign, never a good idea.

The 07 also gets crappier mileage (15-25), I would hate to know what the 5.0 V8 gets. Also the V8 is like 10K more expensive, so once you add all the features to the V8 you are talking like 75K, which is a little silly, imo.

Last piece of advice, if you are buying new, at the time of purchase buy an extended warranty to 100K (repair not service), it will only be like $1500 at the time of purchase but later will be like $5000. If one thing goes wrong with the car after 50K it will likely pay for itself.

ETA: Im pretty sure even if you buy a certified used from a dealer, you can still get a decent deal on an extended warranty at time of purchase.

Last edited:
I have never driven one, but I think my next car may be an Q5. It is more inline size-wise with the earlier X5s, whereas the new X5s are more like the Q7, which is more car than I need.

Anyone have an Q5?

Last edited:
Back