• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AP All-Time Top 100 Hoops Programs

I thought about 30. Would have said higher pre Wellman ruining our program. The main problem before that was lack of post-season success - not much in terms of hardware - just a lot of solid teams that made the tourney much of the time.

Pretty sure Seattle university made the finals one year back in the day

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

With some scrub named Elgin Baylor. Lost to Kentucky in the championship game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zero postseason success on our part, but a decent run of top 25 seasons until recently. I'd guess around 35-40 range. Depends on how much they weigh tournament success.

Zero postseason success on our part, but a decent run of top 25 seasons until recently. I'd guess around 35-40 range. Depends on how much they weigh tournament success.

this particular list does not weigh tournament success at all; from the article:

To determine the all-time Top 100, the AP formula counted poll appearances (one point each) to mark consistency and No. 1 rankings (two points each) to acknowledge elite programs. Keep in mind that AP doesn’t release a poll after the NCAA Tournament, so eventual national champions are not factored into these rankings. Instead, this list focuses more on those programs that consistently appear in the poll and/or at the top during the regular seasons.

this particular list does not weigh tournament success at all; from the article:

To determine the all-time Top 100, the AP formula counted poll appearances (one point each) to mark consistency and No. 1 rankings (two points each) to acknowledge elite programs. Keep in mind that AP doesn’t release a poll after the NCAA Tournament, so eventual national champions are not factored into these rankings. Instead, this list focuses more on those programs that consistently appear in the poll and/or at the top during the regular seasons.

If I'd read the evaluation criteria, before I'd guessed, I would have guessed higher than 42 because tournament play is not considered. Makes sense that the AP would use their own poll and rankings as the basis of their top 100 all time ranking.

Great to see all current ACC members ranked. I'd love to see the rankings using just the last 20 - 25 years.

Great to see all current ACC members ranked. I'd love to see the rankings using just the last 20 - 25 years.

last 25 years, 1993-2017:

(I extended it to #62 because...tiers)

1 Duke
2 Kansas
3 North Carolina
4 Kentucky
5 Arizona
6 Connecticut
7 Syracuse
8 Michigan State
9 Louisville
9 Florida
11 UCLA
12 Cincinnati
13 Wisconsin
13 Indiana
15 Villanova
16 Gonzaga
17 Maryland
17 Texas
19 Illinois
20 Purdue
21 Stanford
22 Oklahoma
23 Ohio State
24 Pittsburgh
25 Georgetown
26 Wake Forest
27 Memphis
28 Michigan
29 Oklahoma State
30 Virginia
31 Marquette
32 Notre Dame
33 Iowa
34 Xavier (OH)
35 Utah
35 Arkansas
37 Missouri
38 Iowa State
39 Tennessee
40 Massachusetts
41 West Virginia
41 Butler (IN)
43 Baylor
44 Alabama
45 Oregon
46 Georgia Tech
47 New Mexico
48 Minnesota
49 Boston College
50 Clemson
51 Washington
52 Temple
52 Vanderbilt
54 Texas A&M
55 Mississippi State
56 Creighton (NE)
57 San Diego State
58 Wichita State
59 Miami (FL)
60 Florida State
61 Kansas State
62 NC State

Last edited:
I feel like I was told on here multiple times by an older poster that Wake couldn't field a team worth a damn in pretty much either revenue sport.

Strange to see we are ranked 26th over the past 22 years in basketball.

Back