• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apartments in Winston-Salem

SDeacz

Reaction score
My wife and I are moving back to the area. I got an informal job offer, and should be getting a formal one on a visit April 11th for a job starting May 1. I will be working downtown Winston.

Wanted some advice on apartments. We will still have a place in Seattle, thanks to the housing market. But will probably need to rent for a year or so until we can figure out things with our house.

So any advice. Obviously some place safe, nice, quiet and preferably newer, but will take all suggestions I know about the Crown places, and Deacon Ridge near campus, but would like to be away from the College students if possible. Besides stuff around campus, I don't really know of any in the area. Wouldn't be against renting a house or Condo either, but figure apartment would be easiest thing for now.

Thanks in advance.

http://twincityquarter.com/live.html

They've done a lot of renovations downtown recently. Here is a link to some of the newer condos, many are available to rent. With the bottoming out of the housing market, quite a few of the new condos went to auction because nobody was buying them. IIRC they were being sold at a steal, so the rent might be lower than you'd expect. They're near the 4th Street Filling Station, and not far from the West End.

Most importantly, glad to have you guys coming back to the area. WFU grads coming back to the Triad is something I'm all for.

Bigtime Tsy. Thanks. Will def look into that.

Its more of a trendy, younger part of town. Mostly 20 and 30 somethings. Coming from a larger city like Seattle, it'll probably be a place you are very interested in. Wakebder lives downtown, but rarely posts on this board. He'd be a great person to get some more info from. I'll PM you his email address, I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

Plug for K-Vegas Sheep teammate...We live in K-Vegas and love the quite and the close proximity to W-S and GSO. If we did not have children, we would definitely look into downtown W-S, it is really starting (albeit slowly) to grow-up. ModernDeac from the other boards has had a condo/apt. in downtown W-S that he has posted about renting before as well. Shoot me a pm if you need anything further or would like me to get you in touch with ModernDeac as well.

My wife and I were considering a move back to WS and she looked at the Artist Lofts - not sure the exact name, but she was really impressed with them. We probably would have gone for one of those had things worked out for us to move to WS.

I recently moved to Raleigh, but before that spent a year living in downtown W-S. I'd recommend looking at the Nissen Building, Winston Factory Lofts, 836 Oak apts, and the old YMCA building (315 Spruce) as a start. Also, check out craigslist... you can find some decent deals on private condo rentals there.

I'd stay away from the Crowne properties if I were you, it's about 99% college students, so probably not the crowd you'd want to be living around. Downtown living is awesome!

Back