• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

App State & Georgia Southern to join Sunbelt Wednesday

WakeForestRanger

Reaction score
Boone, NC (Sports Network) - Appalachian State's premier FCS program could be ready to move up to the FBS level.

Reporter Tommy Bowman of the Winston-Salem Journal tweeted on Monday that a source at Appalachian State said the Southern Conference program will accept an invitation to join the Sun Belt Conference this week, possibility announcing a move on Wednesday.

The Mountaineers program is the only one in FCS history to win three straight national titles - from 2005 to '07 under former coach Jerry Moore - and has won at least a share of seven of the last eight Southern Conference titles.

Appalachian State has led the FCS in attendance in five of the past six years, including an average of 26,358 fans per game this past season, when the Mountaineers had an 8-4 record and made the national playoffs for the eighth straight season.

The SoCon's other's big power, six-time FCS national champion Georgia Southern, also is pursuing a move up to the FBS.

http://www.mynews4.com/news/story/A...ccepting-Sun-Belt/Mjx0YE22bE-1DoXik1_gRg.cspx

about damn time, give them a few seasons to get their bearings and they will be running the sun belt. go apps!

oh and jerry moore was royally screwed..

Wake to the SoCon as a replacement for App State.

Can't wait to hear SnD's take on this (j/k).

about damn time, give them a few seasons to get their bearings and they will be running the sun belt. go apps!

Not a chance, Zach Glass, not a chance.

Great, the most loaded we've been since Armanti's junior year:

Right now, the idea is that App and GSU will be ineligible for the 2013 post-season due to the move up. The schools might also be ineligible for the SoCon football titles, but no such ruling has been passed yet.

Do not support

Agreed

I gave said all along that I think a move up to an irrelevant FBS conference (like The Sun Belt) will be the death of App football. I hope I am wrong but being the big fish in the small pond had its advantages. I highly doubt that the HIGHLY fickle bandwagon App fans will turn out in droves to see App middle in the Sun Belt with the hopes of someday competing for a bowl no one cares about. Again, hope I am wrong.

Yup... when App goes 3-7 or 2-8 in the Sun Belt, they won't be drawing the highly exaggerated 28k announced attendance for a late November matchup with UL-Monroe. This is financial suicide for their athletic program.

No, Jerry Moore was NOT screwed. Trust me! He was about as classless as they come in that whole incident.

Yup... when App goes 3-7 or 2-8 in the Sun Belt, they won't be drawing the highly exaggerated 28k announced attendance for a late November matchup with UL-Monroe. This is financial suicide for their athletic program.

In your dreams, Whee. And ASU doesn't have to make up attendance numbers. They have a higher attendance average than any school currently in the Sunbelt.
ASU will not be eligible for the playoffs this season, and will play all sports in the '14 season in the Sunbelt (except for 2 or 3). They will be bowl-eligible in '15.

No, Jerry Moore was NOT screwed. Trust me! He was about as classless as they come in that whole incident.

Neg rep...what an awful post.

I hope you and all of your AD supporters are happy with the destruction of App football and the man that basically created it. It will be hard for Cobb to apply for every AD opening with Jerry Moore's resume in his hand.

Neg rep...what an awful post.

I hope you and all of your AD supporters are happy with the destruction of App football and the man that basically created it. It will be hard for Cobb to apply for every AD opening with Jerry Moore's resume in his hand.

Hey, neg rep all you want, but I am only speaking the truth and facts, which you clearly don't know. I was as big a Jerry Moore fan as anyone at ASU, UNTIL he did what he did. I think this has all be hashed out before, and I would not say what I said if I didn't know it for a FACT. He thought he could force Charlie to give him another year by playing 'dumb' about the agreement they had. Didn't work.... He also was only a coach during football season; you didn't see him around the rest of the year. Things were going in the wrong direction and it was past time for a change. It is unfortunate he couldn't retire gracefully and be proud of the legacy he built at Appalachian. ASU has moved on without him.

Lol Catamountdeac

App St fans realize that Georgia Southern goes from being their second-longest trip in the SoCon (only Samford is further) to being their nearest rival in the Sun Belt. Seriously, the average travel goes from 218 miles in the SoCon to 665 miles in the Sun Belt.

Even if App State is the most successful Sun Belt team year in and year out, that just means they go 8-4 and make the GoDaddy Bowl every year. Maybe the Sun Belt will be better in the future, I think more likely is more teams come up from the FCS, the major conferences break away from the FBS to form their own mega-conglomerate while the smaller conferences are basically thrust back into FCS. I don't like this move for App.

Even if App State is the most successful Sun Belt team year in and year out, that just means they go 8-4 and make the GoDaddy Bowl every year. Maybe the Sun Belt will be better in the future, I think more likely is more teams come up from the FCS, the major conferences break away from the FBS to form their own mega-conglomerate while the smaller conferences are basically thrust back into FCS. I don't like this move for App.

Solid post. And what Cobb doesn't comprehend is that App football is not strong enough to generate fan support for an 8-4 team (at best). Again, I hope I am wrong but this is the beginning of the end of App football.

Solid post. And what Cobb doesn't comprehend is that App football is not strong enough to generate fan support for an 8-4 team (at best). Again, I hope I am wrong but this is the beginning of the end of App football.

You're wrong...

Back