• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

App State Series Renewed

Good lord App is going to kick our asses when we play them in 2017

All our freshman and sophomores will be all grown up by then, things may look a lot different in 2 years. However yes, App would probably kick our ass right now.

Playing App. State make sense. They have a large alumni base in and around W-S, which gives the game juice, draws solid crowds and creates revenue for WF. Now that App is D-1, why would WF play Northern Illinois or ULM or Utah State or Tulane in front of friends and family rather than play App in front of a packed house?

That said, going home and home with the Apps, makes no sense. I get playing there on 2 for 1 or even a 3 for 2, but no other Power 5 conference school would agree to a home and home with Apps, and WF shouldn't either.

Finally, some in our fan-base need to get over when WF would typically struggle with the Apps when they were an FCS power. Those days are over. The Apps are a low-rung FBS program now, but they are in our back-yard, and playing them offers benefits that playing other low-rung FBS schools does not.

@JRWalk22: According to Miami Herald, the U is close to finalizing a deal to play at Appalachian State next year. ASU would play at Miami in future

Not your daddys Appalachian State

Good lord App is going to kick our asses when we play them in 2017

I doubt it because we are going to be pretty competitive within the ACC by that point and thus really competitive with a team like App St who is really good within the confines of the SunBelt. Going 11-1 this year is all well & good and something that the Mountaineers should be proud of if they do it, but you have to remember if is not any better than let's say Marshall last year who went 12-0 in their regular season and lost to West Ky in the Conf USA title game. Even while the ACC is at the bottom of the Power 5 in rankings, we are still infinitely above the SunBelt. And given 2 more years of recruiting and growing our own, Coach Clawson will have rebuilt where we were from what Grobe left us in the decimation when he quit recruiting & trying.

I think Miami did a H&H with ECU during the mid '90s when Butch Davis was the coach at Miami.

They played Miami at Carter Finley due to hurricane Floyd flooding Greenville. They tore down the goalposts.

Yeah. I remember that. ECU tearing down the goalposts on NCSU's home field is just too awesome.

Last edited:
Back