• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apparently 3 of the 4 Men Killed Were Unarmed

No way of knowing whether the building or the men were rigged with explosives. I'm sure protocol was to shoot every male as soon as you saw them. Trying to take him alive would have been crazy. The SEALS had to know they might have all died in one big explosion...makes their task even more impressive.

I could care less if they were armed or not. If you don't want to risk a violent, unplanned death, maybe you should avoid sheltering Osama Bin Laden.

Good to see all the agreement on the boards for once

I have actually been very happy with how non-partisan (for the most part) the reaction to this has been. This has probably been as unified politically as we have been since 911. We all know it will not last but nice none the less.

Given their proclivity to wear suicide vest, I have no problem with our boys erring on the side of self preservation.

Given their proclivity to wear suicide vest, I have no problem with our boys erring on the side of self preservation.

Apparently he was wearing a suicide vest but was too much of a coward to activate it. Reports coming out today make it sound like he ran like the scared little bitch that he was.

I was watching a video of my brothers unit in Afghanistan that included some radio chatter. They were getting ready to go into a village and over the radio the order was "when the assault begins if you see something running towards you unless it's a woman or a child kill it."

I could care less if they were armed or not. If you don't want to risk a violent, unplanned death, maybe you should avoid sheltering Osama Bin Laden.

QFT. Every single person in that building was actively involved in killing thousands of Americans and plotting to kill as many more as they could manage. That house was a command and control facility of an armed group conducting active military operations against the US. Accordingly the US had every right to take out that target with a daisy-cutter from 30,000 feet. Instead, the SEALS put their lives in extreme danger to conduct this mission in a manner that avoided killing the women and children who would have died had we dropped a bomb.

Apparently he was wearing a suicide vest but was too much of a coward to activate it. Reports coming out today make it sound like he ran like the scared little bitch that he was.

where did you read this?

Osama bin Laden: Not such a great roommate after all.

Seriously, there are some risks associated with harboring the most wanted man in the world.

In any agency of American law enforcement these people would be classified as "armed and extremely dangerous."

It was a gunfight and if they forgot their AK's then shame on 'em. These were some dangerous people and if they were not armed at the time then they were scrambling as fast as they could to get armed.

Fact is, they felt safe. They were under the shadow of a somewhat sympathetic populace and living next to a modern miltary that "could certainly detect outside entry of an opposing force and likely repel it well before the in-country". Or, so they thought.

Fact is, this was a BAD-ASSED mission further than we can presently grasp...these guys breached deep into a nuclear country that has advanced detection systems in place. The logistics involved in timing that "radar window" caused by the surrounding mountains is straight 'heroic'. If Pakistan's Air Force had intercepted a whiff of security breach they would have quickly scrambled their latest collaboration with the Chinese Chengdu corporation, the J-F 17 Thunder. The Thunder that has replaced their aging French Mirage, and it is likely that members of the "Black Spiders" would have shot our men from the sky. This was not Mogadishu, which proved incredibly dangerous, but was a major in-country thrust against the world's 7th largest military. The Pakistani's train all of the time due to the tension created with India over the region of Kashmir. Ask any well-heeled analyst what the world's most contentious spot is and one most likely to see a nuclear event and they will respond "Kashmir".

Balls out call by a Commander-in-Chief who actually claimed he's do such a thing while campaigning. The Pakistani's were even forewarned that he might do such an 'outlandish thing' as John McCain described it. In the end, he could have come off worse than Jimmy Carter. Our guys could have been detected by numerous means...but in the end The President likely listened to the SEAL Commanders who told him "Sir, we can get this son-of- a-bitch...let us take him out!" --- and the President, weighed it, like all good Presidents do, and then he decided to make the potentially devastating yet truly courageous decision to "act right now!."

Bully for you Mr. President! I am often at odds with you but not on this call.

Last edited:
Back