• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apple WWDC (6/11)

Also, just noticed that the new maps app will only be supported on the iPhone 4S and later. Fine, Apple, I'll buy the 5.

No Apple TV SDK. That's a huge disappointment. It must not be ready for prime time just yet. Maybe it will show up along side the iPhone 5 this fall.

My guess is that will come when they make their big TV announcement.

Also, just noticed that the new maps app will only be supported on the iPhone 4S and later. Fine, Apple, I'll buy the 5.

That's just turn by turn (because it's run by Siri). The rest of the app will work just fine on older phones.

Mountain Lion looks pretty sweet, but with the exception of the new maps iOS is pretty disappointing. No live icons (why can't the fucking weather app say the real temperature instead of 73 degrees all the time?), no unified search bar in mobile Safari (they did it for the Mac version in Mountain Lion). Also, the turn by turn directions look pretty sweet, but good luck actually using it if they just make the screen longer (switching to a 16:9 ratio) but not wider. The supposed leaks look ridiculously out of proportion IMO.

Oh, and LOL at the "better than bz" tag. Props to whoever put that there.

My guess is that will come when they make their big TV announcement.

That's just turn by turn (because it's run by Siri). The rest of the app will work just fine on older phones.

Mountain Lion looks pretty sweet, but with the exception of the new maps iOS is pretty disappointing. No live icons (why can't the fucking weather app say the real temperature instead of 73 degrees all the time?), no unified search bar in mobile Safari (they did it for the Mac version in Mountain Lion). Also, the turn by turn directions look pretty sweet, but good luck actually using it if they just make the screen longer (switching to a 16:9 ratio) but not wider. The supposed leaks look ridiculously out of proportion IMO.

Link to the leak?

And so the 13-inch, lowest processesor, all the lowest stuff, MacBook Pro starts at $2200!? That's absolutely ridiculous

Link to the leak?

And so the 13-inch, lowest processesor, all the lowest stuff, MacBook Pro starts at $2200!? That's absolutely ridiculous

Yet still cheaper than the lowest end of the line stuff 15 years ago. I don't even want to know what Wake charged me for my thinkpad 99-03

Yet still cheaper than the lowest end of the line stuff 15 years ago. I don't even want to know what Wake charged me for my thinkpad 99-03

But it's exactly $1000 more than their lowest end now. I was thinking about upgrading from my HP to the new MacBook. Until I hear how much it is.

But it's exactly $1000 more than their lowest end now. I was thinking about upgrading from my HP to the new MacBook. Until I hear how much it is.

Keep in mind this is for the new Macbook PRO...the air and entry level MacBooks are still around the $1000 range. I'm also seeing on Twitter that some of the tech bloggers aren't THAT impressed with the screen, which is odd since they've had such hard ons for retina since the iPhone debuted it.

Link to the leak?

No, the 15 incher with retina display is $2200. The 13" MacBook Pro is still the same price ($1199) and the 13" MacBook Air actually dropped $100 (to $1199).

Here's the leaked images that are reportedly what the next iPhone will look like (I am not a fan):

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/high-resolution-iphone-5-renderings-based-on-leaked-parts/

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/07/iphone-5-back-cover-hands-on-video/

Keep in mind this is for the new Macbook PRO...the air and entry level MacBooks are still around the $1000 range. I'm also seeing on Twitter that some of the tech bloggers aren't THAT impressed with the screen, which is odd since they've had such hard ons for retina since the iPhone debuted it.

Engadget sure liked it.

There is no more of the straight up MacBook as far as I can tell. Apple does not sell any new ones. It is either the Air or Pro. and no way i would get an air. I've toyed with one in the apple stores and did not like them at all.

No, the 15 incher with retina display is $2200. The 13" MacBook Pro is still the same price ($1199) and the 13" MacBook Air actually dropped $100 (to $1199).

Here's the leaked images that are reportedly what the next iPhone will look like (I am not a fan):

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/high-resolution-iphone-5-renderings-based-on-leaked-parts/

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/07/iphone-5-back-cover-hands-on-video/

Thanks for clearing that up.

why is retina only available on 15 inch?

Thanks for clearing that up.

why is retina only available on 15 inch?

My guess is because it's taking the place of the 17" in their lineup. I think what you'll see in the future is the Air becoming the mainstream model and the 15" retina will then be the only Pro model. So you'll have 11" and 13" Airs and 15" Pro once they unify things in the future (like in a year). I think they are probably also counting on the costs for the retina displays coming down as production ramps up and other makers start copying it. That's just my best guess though.

Curious to see the retina display vs the "high res" Macbook Pro screen. Not sure if the payoff is worth the expense for normal use (unless you're a Diablo 3 nut I guess). Videos, streaming stuff, web content - it'll all be the same resolution. Rendered text and personal photos/movies are the places where you'd notice it.

Nice to see they finally lowered prices on memory upgrades. 4gb -> 8gb of ram is just $100 now. 500gb -> 750gb $100 as well.

Really wish the slimmer pro had the Retina screen as an option. Would love a pound lighter pro with solid state, ultra slim, no spinning drives and the normal high res screen. Plus without the retina screen you might get another hour or two of battery life.

Back