• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Applying to Jobs Where You Don't Currently Work/live

It depends on the hiring manager and the company setup. Most companies don't use a software that auto-screens out people based on location - but whoever or whatever is doing the screening will obviously take that into account - you other qualifications would have to blow them away. For most sales roles, even medical device, I would say it is going to be tough - there are not a lot of people paying for relocation for sales reps (management or whale hunters, possibly). If you aren't looking for relocation help, make that known - either in your CV or an email to the hiring manager (if you know them).

I think the best bet, as someone mentioned here, is to work with a recruiter or an agency, they have better connections and can sell you to hiring managers. Search some out and get them your resume - most of the good ones will do a full interview with you and you can give them all the info they need to sell you to at least get a first interview. This is all assuming you can't work through your own network.

I'll second everything said here. Especially the part about the HR screening process: in some cases, the hiring manager is running the show, while in other cases, it's some ding dong from HR who is just blindly following a process.

Reactions: ONW
Earlier this year was hired from VA to work in San Francisco.

Throughout interviews there were definitely times my lack of network and relationships with Silicon Valley were detrimental. While still living in Virginia, worked on establishing those relationships virtually while preempting that flow of questions in interviews by highlighting how often I've been out there for work and the strong relationships I've cultivated virtually.

Beyond that, most companies had no problem looking at candidates outside the area. All of them that provided offers included either a healthy signing bonus and/or covered moving expenses. Another note is I would often customize my cover letters to note how I am looking to move to x location because y. Based off conversations with recruiters, it seemed they would often get people who mass applied to jobs not realizing they'd have to relocate.

Reactions: ONW
Back