• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

APU

89DeaconMike

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ayers-multiple-schools-mark-gear-protest-ncaa

These players just don't get it. This is why college football's days are numbered. You will never be able to pay players. Number 1 MOST schools can't afford it and Number 2 TITLE IX. You won't be able to pay football and basketball players and not pay the women's fencing team the same amount. They are going to kill the golden goose. Of course it might be a good thing and college athletics can get back to what it probably should be.

Maybe they can just start minor league football as farm teams to the NFL.

Above commentary and projections aside, here are the details on the APU's campaign:

The NCPAnow.org website described the "#AllPlayersUnited Campaign Goals" as:

• Demonstrate unity among college athletes and fans in favor of NCAA reform.

• Show support for players who joined concussion lawsuits against the NCAA, which could "force the NCAA to finally take meaningful steps to minimize brain trauma in contact sports and provide resources for current and former players suffering with brain injuries."

• Show support for the players who "stepped up in the O'Bannon v. NCAA, EA Sports lawsuit regarding the use of players' images/likeliness, which could unlock billions of dollars in resources for current, future, and former players."

• Stand behind individual players being "harmed by NCAA rules."

Huma said "this is a campaign designed by players that gets the issue in front of people in a way they're comfortable with." He said the primary concern of the players he is organizing is health and safety issues related to concussions.

The NCAA has come under fire from critics who contend the organization has not done enough to ensure that schools minimize the risk of concussions with players, by such measures as minimizing contact during practices.

The NCPA, which is supported by the U.S. Steelworkers union, is also asking in its statement that the NCAA direct "a portion of its over $1 billion in new TV revenue to guarantee basic protections."

Those include guaranteed scholarship renewals for permanently injured players, the promise that injured players will not have to pay sports-related medical bills, an increase in scholarship aid by $3,000 to $5,000 per year up to the cost of attendance, and the establishment of an educational "trust fund" that players could tap into after their eligibility expires.

It doesn't seem like 1) schools will have to afford it and 2) Title IX doesn't seem to apply to any of these demands.

Above commentary and projections aside, here are the details on the APU's campaign:

It doesn't seem like 1) schools will have to afford it and 2) Title IX doesn't seem to apply to any of these demands.

Increasing scholarship aid, establishing a trust fund, pay sports-related medical bills, tv revenue used to guarantee basic protections. Those sound like costs to me, and you don't want to be the first university who tries to deny those same benefits to the school's field hockey team...

Do field hockey teams generate TV revenues? Does Title IX apply in this case?

Increasing scholarship aid is well within school budgets. I'm sure Ph can better speak to the economics of this...

The "trust fund" sounds an awful lot like a 529 account, but it's the most underdeveloped of all of their "policy" aims. It'll be interesting to see what they can do with it...

Pardon me if I don't think that paying sports-related medical bills is a particularly controversial point. If it's not being done already, then we have a huge problem. IMO, this should function like worker's compensation, to ensure that the injury is treated for its duration and in all of its manifestations.

Jesus Adolph Christ, has anyone ever actually read Title IX? Number 1 were a private school, do we even take government funds for our athletic Program? (LSU is public and I don't believe they have since the 90's.)

#2 Title IX is a three prong and/OR test to see if your in compliance. So yes, one way to be in compliance with Title IX is to make sure that if male Basketball players are getting paid, so should Women basketball players. Another is simply to have a women's basketball team in the first place, and fund their travel like you would the men's.

Jesus, Alabama Football players have ipads in their lockers, a waterfall, and a top knotch futuristic whirlpool at their disposal day and night (#Benefits). There are pros who play for Jacksonville that wish they were at Alabama. I can guarun-damn-tee you that the Alabama Women's field hockey team does not have a locker room that is close to this. That's because the fact that an Alabama Women's field hockey team exist puts Alabama in compliance.

While there are holes (namely recruiting) to the idea of fairly compensating players based on their free market value and production, or simply allowing them to profit off of their own name, until a Leg Ad Lawyer comes in and says something concretely, can we give the Title IX stuff a rest.

Do field hockey teams generate TV revenues? Does Title IX apply in this case?

Increasing scholarship aid is well within school budgets. I'm sure Ph can better speak to the economics of this...

The "trust fund" sounds an awful lot like a 529 account, but it's the most underdeveloped of all of their "policy" aims. It'll be interesting to see what they can do with it...

Pardon me if I don't think that paying sports-related medical bills is a particularly controversial point. If it's not being done already, then we have a huge problem. IMO, this should function like worker's compensation, to ensure that the injury is treated for its duration and in all of its manifestations.

Being within budgets, trust funds, and well deserved help with medical bills are all admirable and have great intentions. They are still costs.

I'm well aware that the Alabama football team has better facilities than their women's volleyball team. Compliance is one thing, I was thinking more of the PR side of the issue in the future.

Jim Grobe's salary is a cost. Jeff [Redacted]'s salary is a cost. Ron Wellman's salary is a cost. Covering long term medical expenses for athletes is a cost. Paying stipends is a cost.

Universities can figure out how to best manage these costs.

Let's give them a W-2 for their scholarship while we're at it.

Jesus Adolph Christ, has anyone ever actually read Title IX? Number 1 were a private school, do we even take government funds for our athletic Program? (LSU is public and I don't believe they have since the 90's.)

#2 Title IX is a three prong and/OR test to see if your in compliance. So yes, one way to be in compliance with Title IX is to make sure that if male Basketball players are getting paid, so should Women basketball players. Another is simply to have a women's basketball team in the first place, and fund their travel like you would the men's.

Jesus, Alabama Football players have ipads in their lockers, a waterfall, and a top knotch futuristic whirlpool at their disposal day and night (#Benefits). There are pros who play for Jacksonville that wish they were at Alabama. I can guarun-damn-tee you that the Alabama Women's field hockey team does not have a locker room that is close to this. That's because the fact that an Alabama Women's field hockey team exist puts Alabama in compliance.

While there are holes (namely recruiting) to the idea of fairly compensating players based on their free market value and production, or simply allowing them to profit off of their own name, until a Leg Ad Lawyer comes in and says something concretely, can we give the Title IX stuff a rest.

Wake being private has nothing to do with it. Title IX applies to any school that accepts federal funding for literally any reason, including for academic scholarship programs and the like. There are like 2 universities in the entire country that are in that position, and I'm fairly certain Wake isn't one of them.

Wake being private has nothing to do with it. Title IX applies to any school that accepts federal funding for literally any reason, including for academic scholarship programs and the like. There are like 2 universities in the entire country that are in that position, and I'm fairly certain Wake isn't one of them.

Exactly. The only schools which don't fall under the auspices of Title IX are those which operate as "for profits." There are more than two but the vast majority of "traditional" schools are certainly covered by Title IX.

Having dealt with workers comp, they won't offer it to de-facto employees like college players. The system is living hand to mouth as it is without having to care for someones bad back for 60 years. You would open up college football to OSHA inspections, which would end college football. Name another covered proffession in which you get contussions every day? KidA23 is correct about the feds getting their fingers into every college through funding, that's why parents have to fill out those financial aide forms without a chance of getting any.

That's why they are student-athletes, not workers.

Might as well get it over with. This plantation system is going to die because its simply unfair. Take half of all coaches salaries and give all athletes a stipend. It's simple. Couple million should do it easy. And do it everywhere. No need to continue the obscene coaching salaries. Plenty of money is available to pay players.

Exactly. The only schools which don't fall under the auspices of Title IX are those which operate as "for profits." There are more than two but the vast majority of "traditional" schools are certainly covered by Title IX.

ok fine, but what exactly are the auspices of Title IX? its a blurp of a law in a massive education bill. Every time a discussion of change in college athletics is brought up, inevitably title ix is brought up as this big bad wolf, even when it's not applicable. If Aj Jenkins is allowed to sell his likeness, or his jersey, title ix does not demand that a school find the same demand for a women's field hockey player. its bs.

Might as well get it over with. This plantation system is going to die because its simply unfair. Take half of all coaches salaries and give all athletes a stipend. It's simple. Couple million should do it easy. And do it everywhere. No need to continue the obscene coaching salaries. Plenty of money is available to pay players.

pretty much this

Do the football players at Alabama get the same cut as Wake Forest players?

Having dealt with workers comp, they won't offer it to de-facto employees like college players. The system is living hand to mouth as it is without having to care for someones bad back for 60 years. You would open up college football to OSHA inspections, which would end college football. Name another covered proffession in which you get contussions every day? KidA23 is correct about the feds getting their fingers into every college through funding, that's why parents have to fill out those financial aide forms without a chance of getting any.

That's why I recommended that health insurance coverage for injuries suffered during their NCAA careers be handled like workers comp. It obviously is not workers compensation, in the traditional sense, but it is a system that takes into consideration the fact that injuries have a way of sticking around, long after the fact.

Heck, the NCAA could include a provision similar to that of New York state, where employees who accept workers compensation cannot sue their employer for complications or circumstances related to the injury that is being covered.

I could really do without your generalizations. They don't really add anything to this conversation.

Back