• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are Clawson and Ed Hardin right? Wake Football needs ASU series?

Not continuous. Va and UNC have played more games.

LOL. If true, you should be thankful that someone wants to be WF's rival. Off hand, I can't think of a single school that considers WF to be its "rival" school.

WF is an afterthought on every ACC school's schedule. If it wasn't a charter member it would have been kicked out of the ACC a long time ago.

Really stupid comment. We are a charter member. This is up there with we would have never beaten Coach K 11 times in a row without Tim Duncan. If sugar wasn't sweet, no one would eat it. If rain didn't make you wet, no one would use an umbrella.

There is no if about it. Do you really think that Carolina considers WF to be its rival above Duke & NC State? They would schedule WF as a non-conf game because it would be more appealing than playing Presbyterian or Utah State. Same thing for Duke. Carolina & NC State are their two biggest rivals. As far as past records go, Duke once had a run of 26 winning seasons out of 27. During the 17-year period ending in 1969, Duke's record against WF was 16-1, and during the 20-year period ending in 1947, Duke's record against WF was 18-1-1. That's a total of 34 wins for Duke, 2 wins for WF and one tie. Doesn't make for much of a rivalry.
EditWatch this pageRead in another language

Self-hatred (also called self loathing) refers to an extreme dislike or hatred of oneself, or being angry at or even prejudiced against oneself. The term is also used to designate a dislike or hatred of a group, family, social class, or stereotype to which one belongs and/or has. For instance, "ethnic self-hatred" is the extreme dislike of one's ethnic group or cultural classification. It may be associated with aspects of autophobia.

The term "self-hatred" is used infrequently by psychologists and psychiatrists, who would usually describe people who hate themselves as "persons with low self-esteem".[citation needed] Self-hatred and shame are important factors in some or many mental disorders, especially disorders that involve a perceived defect of oneself (e.g. body dysmorphic disorder). Self-hatred is also a symptom of many personality disorders, including borderline personality disorder,[1] as well as depression. It can also be linked to guilt for someone's own actions that they view as wrongful, e.g. survivor guilt.[citation needed]

Seems like a lot of ppl on here think Wake has a rival just based on the amount of time we've played that team. Sheesh no way I buy that. I have friends across the board from State, UNC and Duke, and nobody considers Wake their rival. Maybe 40 years ago, but nobody under 35 thinks Wake has a rival.

If what you say is true, why would UNC agree to schedule non-conference games with us. And Duke doesn't remember WF beating them 12 straight years from 2000-2011?

Easy. Scheduling Wake as OOC gives UNC OOC games against a P5 team that they'll most likely win. Duke is the other ACC school that other members pencil in as a W at th beginning of the season.

bkf gets mad when Wake doesn't suck because it reminds him too much of his wife

EditWatch this pageRead in another language

Self-hatred (also called self loathing) refers to an extreme dislike or hatred of oneself, or being angry at or even prejudiced against oneself. The term is also used to designate a dislike or hatred of a group, family, social class, or stereotype to which one belongs and/or has. For instance, "ethnic self-hatred" is the extreme dislike of one's ethnic group or cultural classification. It may be associated with aspects of autophobia.

The term "self-hatred" is used infrequently by psychologists and psychiatrists, who would usually describe people who hate themselves as "persons with low self-esteem".[citation needed] Self-hatred and shame are important factors in some or many mental disorders, especially disorders that involve a perceived defect of oneself (e.g. body dysmorphic disorder). Self-hatred is also a symptom of many personality disorders, including borderline personality disorder,[1] as well as depression. It can also be linked to guilt for someone's own actions that they view as wrongful, e.g. survivor guilt.[citation needed]

July 15, 1985.

For 28 years I was the most rabid WF fan that you could find...anywhere. That's probably longer than you've been living. It's probably longer than a solid majority of posters on these boards have been living.

I was the 10-year old who pulled for Yale, Canisius, Syracuse, Mich State & Kansas against UNC when they won the 1957 NCAA Championship. (The only such boy in my 5th grade class.) I was the guy who from the 5th grade on refused to wear any light blue clothes. I was the 14-year old boy who went to Bones McKinney's summer basketball camp at Buies Creek. I was the guy who wore #22 on my high school basketball team in honor of my first WF hero, George Ritchie. I was the guy who never even applied to any college other than Wake Forest. I was the guy who was contributing $5,000/year (equivalent of $20,000+ in today's dollars) to the Deacon Club from the mid-1970s). I was the guy who was so upset that I left the Greensboro Coliseum and walked 13 miles after the Scoreboard Game.

July 15, 1985 forever changed all of that for me. Carl Tacy was the best basketball coach that Wake Forest has ever had....and one of the nicest guys ever associated with the school. And in spite of unbelievable obstacles that he had to overcome to return the WF basketball program to prominence, he was neither paid, supported or appreciated. I will never forget that, nor will I ever forgive Wake Forest for the way he was treated.

Last edited:
LOL. If true, you should be thankful that someone wants to be WF's rival. Off hand, I can't think of a single school that considers WF to be its "rival" school.

WF is an afterthought on every ACC school's schedule. If it wasn't a charter member it would have been kicked out of the ACC a long time ago.

The ACC enjoys a higher academic reputation than the SEC, so kicking out Wake and replacing them with West Virginia seems like a great plan.

More succcessful rival teams always claim that the lesser successful teams aren't really their rivals.

The reason Easter was on Monday in NC was due to the Wake State baseball game.

Wake and State are rivals.

No, but my frat house full of drunks turned out a bunch of successful doctors, lawyers, senators, cpa's, developers, etc. It's amazing really. The vast majority of WFU grads are much more successful in life than those from ASU. Not all, but most.

Based on what criteria? I've got friends/acquaintances that check most of your list of "successfuls" (some are Wake grads, most not) but the one I admire the most and consider the most "successful" is a high school teacher & coach who has won 4 H.S.state championships in football and both of his sons have followed in his footsteps as coaches, but he still teaches driver's ed on the side for the extra $$ .

Yeah, we kicked UNC-CH's ass in the first collegiate football game in North Cackalacky history !

6-4 over those cheating bitches !

I was there when the Deacs kicked Carolina's butt in Groves 100 years later. Got a program signed by Doc Murphy somewhere.

Judging people by where they went to college (even if they went to college) is misguided. So often, individuals are so different than the limited stereo-type of a "WF" grad or an "App" grad or a "Duke" grad (OK, maybe that stereo-type is accurate :p) or a "Community College" grad.

Fun to banter about each school's reps the week before the game, but anyone who takes the school rep crap seriously to judge an individual is a dumbass.

I like the App series. I think Wake needs an instate game and I prefer App over ECU or Charlotte. App will come down off the mountain to Winston = sellout.

Disclaimer: Both my daughters are App students.

July 15, 1985.

For 28 years I was the most rabid WF fan that you could find...anywhere. That's probably longer than you've been living. It's probably longer than a solid majority of posters on these boards have been living.

I was the 10-year old who pulled for Yale, Canisius, Syracuse, Mich State & Kansas against UNC when they won the 1957 NCAA Championship. (The only such boy in my 5th grade class.) I was the guy who from the 5th grade on refused to wear any light blue clothes. I was the 14-year old boy who went to Bones McKinney's summer basketball camp at Buies Creek. I was the guy who wore #22 on my high school basketball team in honor of my first WF hero, George Ritchie. I was the guy who never even applied to any college other than Wake Forest. I was the guy who was contributing $5,000/year (equivalent of $20,000+ in today's dollars) to the Deacon Club from the mid-1970s). I was the guy who was so upset that I left the Greensboro Coliseum and walked 13 miles after the Scoreboard Game.

July 15, 1985 forever changed all of that for me. Carl Tacy was the best basketball coach that Wake Forest has ever had....and one of the nicest guys ever associated with the school. And in spite of unbelievable obstacles that he had to overcome to return the WF basketball program to prominence, he was neither paid, supported or appreciated. I will never forget that, nor will I ever forgive Wake Forest for the way he was treated.

This reminds me of the whole Clinton/Howard Dean take that you have. You are VERY loyal to specific people such as Bob Knight/Tacy/Dean, etc.

To me, if you invested so much time, passion and money to a sports program, then why throw it all away because the athletic department didn't handle one single coach the way that you wanted? That just doesn't make any sense. Take your favorite restaurant for example...I'm sure there's more than 1 item at that restaurant that you enjoy. If said restaurant took an item off of the menu that you liked, while leaving many others you still like, would you totally boycott that restaurant?

None of it adds up. Now if you told me that you didn't appreciate how the current athletic department has somewhat alienated a portion of the fan base by giving away their seats that they sat in for 20+ years to a bigger donor, that would hold some credibility. I know that has happened to a few friends of mine and I understand their frustrations with the AD. Even these folks continue to cheer for Wake, though. They don't just throw away 50+ years of loyalty because 1 single thing didn't go their way.

Also, no one from the athletic department at Wake is still here from 1985...So maybe you could give these guys a shot at least until they let you down again?

Also, no one from the athletic department at Wake is still here from 1985...So maybe you could give these guys a shot at least until they let you down again?

No, it's easier to just be a miserable, bitter, stuck in the distant past old man and hold onto to 30 year old grudges and make your morons lives miserable on this board. But thanks anyway.

July 15, 1985.

Silliest shit I ever read. Coaches come and go all the time. You know who should get all the support? The fucking fans . That's who. But no. You are a selfish little bitch. And I have plenty of age on me, so don't start will the millineal hate garbage.

Back