• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Are you better off than four years ago" is a pile of steaming...

WakeandBake

Reaction score
...bullshit. I agree with David Simon, it is horrible for the country. It diminishes the election and is self-defeating.

"Are you better off than you were four years ago?" is the most loaded question in American politics and diminishes the election:

The (De)industrialization's been going on for 50 years, the decline of organized labor's been going on for 40 years, globalization: 20-25 years, and you're gonna sit there and argue over this month's employment report? The fact that we can't have an adult electoral process is rooted in this kind of frenzy of who can we blame, and how fast.

Whether it's Bush's mess, or Obama's mess, or even Clinton's (who got the bank deregulation ball rolling) is immaterial to Simon. There is no quick fix. Campaigns need long-term solutions, but they are handcuffed by projections and results in the prism of the 24-hour news cycle. Is it any wonder that they've reverted to lying when they can't conform to the impulsive demands that the media has forced upon the people?

That business of four years being the metric for anything? We have a political culture that everyone plants annuals, they plant pretty flowers that come up the next spring. What we need is a political culture where somebody plants a fuckin' olive tree, which doesn't even give you an olive for seven years. That's how you fix an economy...When that olive tree becomes an orchard.

http://backtimetv.blogspot.com/2012/09/david-simon-on-real-time.html

My 401K, IRAs, and stock portfolio are booming. They certainly are MUCH better off.

Don't ask any questions. Just vote yourself more jizz from the government hose. Everything gonna be just fine.

Fuckin' olive trees. Drop mic.

And yeah, I'm way better off now, too.

Tough to ignore the question when the incumbant ran 4 years ago on a platform of immediate hope, change, and transparency, and then launched into a series of large-scale blunders immediately upon taking office. Had he campaigned on the ideas of slow, long-term turnaround and then worked to create and implement worthwhile long-term strategies, then he could probably exempt himself from the question.

Liberals love to change the rules in the middle of the game

Don't ask any questions. Just vote yourself more jizz from the government hose. Everything gonna be just fine.

Apparatchiks! Doom! Black Helicopters! Apparatchiks! Sky Falling! Angry White Male Hypocrite! Apparatchiks!

Posted this on another thread...I think it also fits here. Anyhow, the question is inevitable and not altogether silly (as is this cartoon). How one formulates an actually adequate answer is the tricky thing.

118156_600.jpg

Liberals love to change the rules in the middle of the game

haha.

its a bullshit measurement that has become the rule since an old-ass B movie actor said it in a campaign. To implement economic policy for short term results is poo poo.

Last edited:
Tough to ignore the question when the incumbant ran 4 years ago on a platform of immediate hope, change, and transparency, and then launched into a series of large-scale blunders immediately upon taking office. Had he campaigned on the ideas of slow, long-term turnaround and then worked to create and implement worthwhile long-term strategies, then he could probably exempt himself from the question.

We are just now learning exactly how deep the recession was, yet Obama was supposed to somehow magically know that he would have to abandon some of his ideas to deal with the impending crisis.

I was laid off in October 2008 right after the economy tanked (actually the Friday following a trip to W-S for a Thursday night Wake-Clemson game), so at the time I was jobless in Atlanta, slightly depressed and single. Now I've got a great job with a great group of friends in DC, plus I'm engaged. So I'm great.

We are just now learning exactly how deep the recession was, yet Obama was supposed to somehow magically know that he would have to abandon some of his ideas to deal with the impending crisis.

And do it overnight, goddamn it!

So how does Mitt Romney come across when telling people who are better off that they, in fact are not?

I would surmise that Mitt Romney is better off. And that shriveled nutsack Sheldon Adelson is too.

Every time Romeny asks that, I am expecting him to channel his inner Dave Chappelle and scream,"Well I am BITCH!!"

My 401K, IRAs, and stock portfolio are booming. They certainly are MUCH better off.

Raise capital gains tax and eliminate deductions for IRAs and 401Ks to increase revenue for the government hose. The rich should not be able to increase their wealth at the expense of working families on food stamps.

If you look at levels it's tough to say we're definitively better or worse off than four years ago. If you look at trajectories, we're CLEARLY better off than four years ago.

Real per capita GDP was higher in 1980 than in 1976, so assume these questions are to be taken literally at your own peril.

We are just now learning how deep the recession was? Seriously? I think it was pretty clear at the time to anybody with a pulse.

Back