• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Arnold Palmer & Buddy Worsham

I don't think he was alone - wasn't another friend killed with him?

You are right, scooter. looked it up on Google. Roommate, Gene Scheer, was killed in the one-car accident with Worsham. BTW, I was still in HS when this accident occurred. Always thought Worsham was alone.

You are right, scooter. looked it up on Google. Roommate, Gene Scheer, was killed in the one-car accident with Worsham. BTW, I was still in HS when this accident occurred. Always thought Worsham was alone.

There's a little bit about the accident, and what Jim Weaver had to say about the two victims during the Monday-morning Chapel service, in the 1951 Howler.

I grew up in the DC area and the golf course of my youth hosted the annual "Bubby Worsham" tournament in memory of Bubby/Buddy who was from Bethesda.

Urban legend had it that Arnie drove the first hole, a 350 yard dogleg with huge trees at the dog leg, en route to winning the tournament. We all thought it was BS as it was an impossible shot.

While i was in HS, Palmer showed up to play a round and several of us Jrs got to watch/caddy. On the first tee, he said "I remember this hole. I drove the green when I won the Bubby tournament". We all looked at him and then he smiled "The trees were a LOT shorter back then".

That was one of the cooler memories of my youth, especially as I had just decided to go to Wake.

Very correct. I have 0 evidence of anything here outside the circumstances of the wreck as told in all the literature.

Most partying is off campus at the various houses tucked in between University, Cherry and Polo.
We need to get rid of those houses and build a stadium on campus to have all the parties in.
And we should've hired Wes Miller back in 1995 to check I.Ds at the door.
Greatness.

For 70 years now, there has only been one obvious conclusion about what caused the wreck that killed Worsham.

Very correct. I have 0 evidence of anything here outside the circumstances of the wreck as told in all the literature.

Only one obvious conclusion as to causation based on 0 evidence.

Thanks for sharing.

There were not seat belt laws in the 1950s.

Nor seat belts at the end of the '40s, as I recall.

Seat belt anchor points in vehicles started being installed in cars beginning in 1962. Some manufacturers began installing seatbelts at that time. But only 2: Driver and front right passenger. Seatbelts became mandatory in 1968.

Old Highway 98, between Durham and Wake Forest, was a dark, curvy, hilly road which was quite hazardous after dark. In the late 50's, the road was greatly improved. It remained two lanes, but the lanes were wider, with many of the curves removed, and the steep hills and valleys greatly reduced. I'm not saying Worsham had not been drinking, but there were many one-car accidents along Old 98 that did not involve alcohol.

grew up in Durham & the Durham side of 98 was referred to as Wake Forest Highway. I stole one of the street signs & put it up in my freshman dorm room. My RA (Reggie Blaylock) confiscated it & I ended up doing some community service for it as well.

Fuck you Reggie if you're posting/lurking.

Back