• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

As usual, I an the last person to know...

1976Deac

Reaction score
I am listening to Jimmy Webb tonight, who reminds me of how remarkable it was for Wake to get Jimmy Webb, Bonnie Raitt, Leon, et al, in the early 70’s, and caused me to wonder again today who had that kind of foresight. I was never a CU guy or a Manny Cunard kind of guy, but wondered if he was the one, to find out that he died not that long ago at Colorado State. Who picked those artists?

What is a jimmy webb.

apparently a pedo

In 1974, Webb married 17 year-old Patricia 'Patsy' Sullivan, a model-cover girl and youngest child of screen actor Barry Sullivan and Swedish actress and model Gita Hall. The couple met posing for the cover of Teen when she was twelve years old. Sources say their age difference at the time caused a lot of criticism from the press due to Sullivan's young age. Walking down the aisle at their wedding was their 19 month-old son who had been born when Sullivan was still a minor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Webb#Relationships_and_family

:) and Sanford....

Your frosh year we also had Graham Nash. If I'm not mistaken we were playing Frisbee football on The Quad and Gregor nearly ran Nash over trying to make a catch.

Before then Hall & Oates opened for Sha Na Na, John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Temptations, the legendary Three Dog Night, J. Geils, Marc Almond. I'm sure i'm forgetting some.

How about Mary Travers, Chuck Berry, Don Felder (Eagles),Duke Ellington, and West, Bruce and Laing.

Definitely forgot about Chuck Berry (who used a couple of local musicians) and West, Bruce and Laing. Leslie West's rider for what he demanded was many pages long.

There used to be a blind guy who would tune the pianos in Wait Chapel for the concerts. He would sit in the back of the balcony as his assistant would play on stage without a mic.

Biggest "get" of all was Fleetwood Mac in either 75 or 76. They signed on to play in Wait before their eponymous album came out, and by the time we got them they were the #1 touring band in the world. Someone with CU told me that they tried their best to get out of the gig and instead play at the Greensboro Coliseum, but Wake held them to the contract.

Biggest "get" of all was Fleetwood Mac in either 75 or 76. They signed on to play in Wait before their eponymous album came out, and by the time we got them they were the #1 touring band in the world. Someone with CU told me that they tried their best to get out of the gig and instead play at the Greensboro Coliseum, but Wake held them to the contract.

Just looked it up: November 20, 1975. They played a lot of similar venues on this leg of the tour, took a break of a few months, and in the summer of '76 came back to the U.S. for mostly stadium concerts.

Webb's own "Galveston" is the best "Galveston." You can tell he had been hanging out with Joni Mitchell.

What is a jimmy webb.

I mourn for the youth of today. A few years back on the Appalshop community radio station, WMMT, on the Friday afternoon drive-time show the DJs would have their weekly Jimmy Webb Song of the Week. What a great songwriter.

Webb's own "Galveston" is the best "Galveston." You can tell he had been hanging out with Joni Mitchell.

Yes. So is his forgotten song from a forgotten musical when he flunked out of junior college.

I thought this was going to be a hilarious burn thread about the GA governor.

Haven't heard that name in forever. Manny Cunard used to come over to the house and cook out with my family when I was a little kid in the 70's. I remember thinking he was Art Garfunkel

manny-cunard.jpg

There used to be a blind guy who would tune the pianos in Wait Chapel for the concerts. He would sit in the back of the balcony as his assistant would play on stage without a mic.

That’s called perfect relative pitch. He could hear a major fourth in his head and could tell whether the C or F on the piano was flat or sharp. But he probably could sing an F without the comparison.

Definitely forgot about Chuck Berry (who used a couple of local musicians) and West, Bruce and Laing. Leslie West's rider for what he demanded was many pages long.

Chuck Berry wasn't backed by "local musicians" when he played Wait Chapel. His backing group was all Wake Students. That was one of the perks of being a musician at Wake that year.

Also, Manny's first coup at Wake was signing "America" before their first big hit ("Horse with no Name") came out. That concert got switched to the Coliseum.

He had a knack for finding bands that were about to hit the big time.

I guess Wake isn't local...talk about playing word games...

Back