• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ask the Pit computer experts: Cloud storage/sync options

tiltdeac

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best way to organize my resources and optimize my workflow. I have a series of resources in different formats. They are mostly journal articles in PDF form, but also include word docs, power point presentations, etc. Ideally, I'd like to be able to organize these files in the cloud and sync them across devices, including my Ipad (ideally I'd have the ability download the files locally for viewing without an internet connection). I know there are lots of options: dropbox, google drive, sugarsync, evernote, etc.

My question is, are there any programs that would allow me to create links from one item in my library to another? For example, if I have a word document that summarizes a number of journal articles that I have in PDF form, can I create a hyperlink of sorts in that word document that will take me directly to that PDF (preferably a version that is already downloaded and hosted locally on my Ipad, but alternatively to a version stored in the cloud)? My goal basically is a make an interactive one-stop-shop study resource that can house all of my files for easy access and navigation.

As a bonus, if any of the programs allowed tag-based organization rather than strictly folder-subfolder hierarchy, that would great, but if not, it's not a dealbreaker.

Anyone know of anything out there that could do something like what is described above? It doesn't necessarily have to be something free, if it is worth it.

Google Drive delivers most of that functionality. The hard part would be the linking to documents on your local drive.

I'd use something extremely basic like DropBox and then makes sure all document linking is by relative paths. Anything overly controlling like Evernote will probably just frustrate you.

Google Drive delivers most of that functionality. The hard part would be the linking to documents on your local drive.

Is Drive any good? I've always used Dropbox, and I know there were some complaints early on with Drive. Have they worked the kinks out yet?

I like Drive quite bit. I wish their spreadsheets had more functions, but I can just upload an xlsx file and download it to whatever device I'm using for more advanced stuff.

Otherwise, almost no complaints.

I'm getting ready to go paperless with my sermon resources (a collection of about 100 magazine/journal/newspaper articles that's been crammed in a drawer and building for a few years). I got a ScanSnap scanner and plan to scan them into Evernote, then tag them appropriately. I've done a few test runs and it seems like it should work out nicely. My only concern is putting it all into a format that is only cloud based (if Evernote even just decided to pack up shop and stop their service, I guess it would still reside on my PC, but I doubt I could ever import/export to PDF or Word, unless I just haven't played with Evernote enough to know how to do that).

Also, I've been using Google Drive since day 1 and haven't had any issues. More storage space (for free) than you get from Dropbox. I used Dropbox before Drive and haven't found any significant differences between the two.

Back