• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ask the Pit: Home Exercise Equipment

DeaconPeach

Beer me
Reaction score
So Wolf1297 & I are thinking about buying a treadmill or elliptical to use at home and wanted to hear from folks who have done this before. Recommendations for brands, pros & cons of buying used vs. new, anything in particular we should look for (or look out for)? Talk to us...

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

My parents have a treadmill in their basement that they use on a regular basis. My advice would be to not cut costs in exchange for quality. My parents' bought a gym quality treadmill and they use it multiple times per week.

UMM HOW i word this... ok u take 20 lbs no lifting for 30lb if guy, so divide 2 u dont sit, u get 10 but for guy it no 30, so 20 would be for guy if u werent a girl ?

Gym

I have a treadmill and an Ellipse in the basement. The Ellipse is a better workout, but it's a better piece of equipment. (got it when a sports shop in RKE was going out of business). the treadmill is your basic treadmill.

Having said that, the issue is the size of the room I have for the exercise room, a cable plug not centered on the wall and a low ceiling. So I use the treadmill a lot more.

It pays to get a high end treadmill with a good warranty/service policy. Cheap treadmills A) suck to run on and B) break down easily. Don't buy one at Dick's or Sears unless you're cool with buying a lower end machine. Head to your neighborhood exercise equipment store instead (Paul's Schwinn here in W-S).

Random note about a high end machine of any type -- make sure you have the free volts/amperage/whatever (I'm talking out of my a** here) -- basically, be sure you have enough juice left over after the tv, lights, fan, etc., in whatever room you're going to be dropping your machine. You may need to add a breaker/fuse to handle the load (can you tell I'm not an electrician?).

Precor for ellipticals. They are high-end gym quality, but they require literally no maintenance in a home setting (other than a wipe down of the tracks to remove dust). They are more expensive than the other brands, but you can feel the difference in your knees.

Also, make sure you are putting it somewhere with adequate floor support, preferably on a concrete basement floor. You can significantly screw up your house if you have it on a second floor with old joists and are using the machine a lot, especially a treadmill.

My wife and I have had a treadmill and elliptical but didn't use them much after the novelty wore off. And they can be hard on the joints. We got a Diamondback recumbent bike a few years ago and continue to use it all the time.

I got a Schwinn exercise bike on Amazon a couple years ago for about $250 and they shipped it for free. Use it once or twice a week.

I got a Schwinn exercise bike on Amazon a couple years ago for about $250 and they shipped it for free. Use it once or twice a week.

for cheaper than that you can just get a stationary trainer thing and set up your real bike.

Back