• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ask the Pit: Killing clover?

my neighbors on either side have nice grass lawns. I'm jealous.

I should correct myself - that photo would look like my lawn if it was also covered in fallen magnolia leaves.

715610c0e96533ae7080cd3ee7abea29.jpg

Just keep it mowed at least once a week, and you will never notice much difference.

you could get a pig as a pet, those things love clover

You need a lawnmower and a leaf blower. Or a goat.

I was just asking my boss about the best way to clean gutters and he suggested a leaf blower for that too. I've never used one; would it be better than a rake for getting leaves out of the yard? I just looked up a Black & Decker one that uses the same battery as a string trimmer I just bought, and it says that it's not recommended for use on grass but more for hard surfaces.

Don't use Roundup unless, as RaleighDeacon suggested, you want to kill the whole lawn and start from scratch. Use Weed B Gone Chickweed, Cover, and Oxalis killer. You can save a little money by using Ortho Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer and cut the application rate in half (it's the same herbicide).

If there is truly very little grass, you might have a problem if you kill the clover now. If you seed grass in it's place it will get fried by the summer sun. Especially down south you really should seed grass in September/October.

Personally, since it's a rental, I wouldn't mess with it. I also don't like spraying chemicals especially if kids use the lawn.

I was just asking my boss about the best way to clean gutters and he suggested a leaf blower for that too. I've never used one; would it be better than a rake for getting leaves out of the yard? I just looked up a Black & Decker one that uses the same battery as a string trimmer I just bought, and it says that it's not recommended for use on grass but more for hard surfaces.

A battery powered blower will not do the job on your lawn. You will need a plug-in blower. Your yard looks pretty small so I would not get a backpack blower ($500). I would also avoid the gas powered handheld models as they're pretty heavy.

But blowers are good for cleaning gutters. I can easily walk around on my roof, so it's real easy, but most blowers have attachments available that facilitate cleaning gutters from the ground or on a ladder.

Clover is green and requires little maintenance. I'm actively promoting it in my backyard because it handles the dog traffic better than fescue.

Damn I've been looking at houses to rent in Ardmore over the last few days. There should be a OGB neighborhood watch or something

If you get a goat, you'll have to get a donkey.

Previous tenants had chickens - the goat is a definite possibility. The more I'm around the neighborhood the more I realize that it isn't just my yard that's covered in things that aren't grass.

Previous tenants had chickens - the goat is a definite possibility. The more I'm around the neighborhood the more I realize that it isn't just my yard that's covered in things that aren't grass.

The fact that your neighbors also have clover will make it harder to get rid of. If you just renting it is probably not worth all the work and money.

We used to live in Ardmore. Had clover in our yard. We just let it be.

Back