• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ask the Tunnels: Did you out-give Vice President Biden (1.5% to charity) in 2011?

Did you give more than 1.5% to charity in 2011?

• Yes, who only gives 1.5% to others?

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • No, I'm only generous with other people's money.

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Romney HAS to put his money into the church or be in trouble.

Taking tens of bills from the poor to give it to the rich is reprehensible and shows the true characters of Romney and Ryan.

Even if you don't include the LDS contributions, the Romneys still give millions to charity. "Taking from the poor and giving it to the rich", that's cute. The only thing on this thread that shows anybody's true character, is that when Biden has a chance to do something with his own money (which he has more than enough of given his salary and the fact that a lot of his expenses are paid by the federal government) he doesn't do shit.

We're never going to agree on this. I find it outrageous and very telling about one's character to propose a fiscal plan for the country that decimates those who need to help to give countless billions to those who don't.

We're never going to agree on this. I find it outrageous and very telling about one's character to propose a fiscal plan for the country that decimates those who need to help to give countless billions to those who don't.

dude just call a spade a spade.

romney's not gonna win so who cares

just admit that biden is a douche who doesnt give to charity because he's a hypocrite.

both parties produce horse shit candidates and we get stuck with one set or the other.

I don't know what the story is with Biden. He has done a lot for the poor in his career. Far more than either Romney or Ryan will ever do.

RJ will never veer from Democratic talking points. You guys should know better than that.

No doubt about that. The idea that what somebody does with taxpayer dollars shows more about their character than what they do with their own dollars is ludicrous.

Do you all (honestly) believe Joe Biden is making enormous charitable contributions and not deducting them? A politician does good and doesn't claim credit for it?

Even the biggest Dem apologists can't possibly believe that. The guy saves his charity for your money, yet you guys roast Romney.

You're one bitter MF if this is what the argument is now.

Do you all (honestly) believe Joe Biden is making enormous charitable contributions and not deducting them? A politician does good and doesn't claim credit for it?

Even the biggest Dem apologists can't possibly believe that. The guy saves his charity for your money, yet you guys roast Romney.

Romney made charitable contributions to the LDS church and didn't deduct them (gave $4 million, only deducted $2.25 million). So apparently a politician doing good and not claiming credit for it IS pretty believable.

You're one bitter MF if this is what the argument is now.

I respectfully disagree (but please continue exporting bitterness and bravado in equal parts. I know it makes you feel better.).

This thread is instructive for several reasons:

1) It shows how easily rebuttable this canard is that Romney is a selfish, out of touch type. Frankly, it frustrates me that he's allowed himself to be so easily flanked by this issue. All he has to do is say that a) I pay may fair share of taxes under the law as written; b) the law gives me the option of making additional contributions to worthy of the support of people who have a generous heart and spirit, c) I choose to exercise that option at both a far greater percentage and whole dollar amounts than both of my opponents. I would then wonder aloud what Joe Biden did with the other 98.5% of his income, since he, unlike many of the middle class families he claims to care about who pay his salary and still donate in higher percentages, lives in a free housing provided at taxpayer expense.

2) Since you guys have gone ahead and declared victory, we have ample time on our hands now to actually take a serious look at your candidates as people. For all the hue, cry and acres upon acres of moral high ground "seized", you all pin your hopes in part to a selfish guy who makes racial jokes. What you claim to detest in conservative candidates (and skewer at every oppportunity when presented the chance....and often when not), Biden lives and breathes. George Allen makes an inappropriate comment at a campaign stop, and of course, it's a career ender for him. But when a Democrat's telling Slurpee jokes and making slavery references, you all make him Vice President. Joe Biden would be much safer if he limited himself to stolen material. For all of the self-congratulatory "this election is over, the Republican Party is dead" talk, you guys need to quit looking at polls and start looking in the mirror.

3) The Romney campaign is missing an opportunity: Not only to demonstrate glaring hypocrisy, but also to contrast visions for how to do good for others. Mitt and Ann Romney---the people you guys are working so hard to demonize---will a) pay more taxes this year and b) make more charitable contributions this year, than most of the people who post on these Boards will in their entire lifetimes.

The Romneys have the option to choose between a) further supporting a bloated, unaccountable, irresponsible behemoth (with the not unsubstantial operating costs of supporting the lifestyles of hundreds of thousands of career government workers with job security, pay and benefits they could never earn on their own in the marketplace....seriously, name everyone you know working right now that has an old-fashioned, poorly-thought-out, unsustainable pension. Can you think of anyone in the private sector that does?), or b) choosing to support organizations who exist---not to provide ways of lives for their workers---but primarily to perform charitable missions (and without the entitlement to a brand-new budget next fiscal year). If you believe---as you should---that nothing is immortal as a government program---doesn't it make sense to support organizations that have to "earn" their operating budgets and rely heavily on donated time, rather than yet another dinosaur government program stuffed full of lawyers, bureaucrats and full-benefit four day work weeks? At what point do some of us put aside the tenents of their Orthodox Statist Faith and start looking at how to solve problems with a fresh set of eyes? If you could choose between donating a $1,000.00 to a particularly legal defense fund to support a cause you felt was worthy and giving that same $1,000.00 to the U.S. Department of Justice (the one that authored the EIT memos you guys kept having litters of kittens over), wouldn't you value the power of your choice? Wouldn't you at least want the option? If so, then quit condemning the Romneys for doing what a lot of other people would do if they had the choice. Your ire is far better suited for Joe and Jill Biden (THEY are The 1.5%).

Romney made charitable contributions to the LDS church and didn't deduct them (gave $4 million, only deducted $2.25 million). So apparently a politician doing good and not claiming credit for it IS pretty believable.

7/10 of ONE PERCENT of his donations to the LDS church goes to actual charity. It's a scam.

So when it comes to Romney, you talk in absolute dollar amounts. When it comes to Biden, you talk about percent of income. Makes TOTAL sense!

You fucking hack.

So when it comes to Romney, you talk in absolute dollar amounts. When it comes to Biden, you talk about percent of income. Makes TOTAL sense!

You fucking hack.

Feel free to read the post next time. Romney dwarfs Biden's "generosity" in BOTH whole dollar amounts AND percentages. As stated in the post.

Thanks for the cussword though.

When the facts fail you, you can always just tag.

Romney makes $12 million dollars a year while Biden makes $300k.

I am sure Bill Gates dwarfs Romney in dollar amounts and % and he thinks we should have a more progressive tax structure. Gates wins.

No . . . and I really don't give a shit either.

7/10 of ONE PERCENT of his donations to the LDS church goes to actual charity. It's a scam.

That "fact" from the Businessweek article was total bullshit. The fact sheet from the church that that they used only showed international humanitarian aid for disasters and other crisis situations. It did not include any of the LDS domestic humanitarian aid or general welfare assistance not related to disasters. There are plenty of reasons to criticize the Mormon Church - there is no need to make up bullshit numbers to do so.

That "fact" from the Businessweek article was total bullshit. The fact sheet from the church that that they used only showed international humanitarian aid for disasters and other crisis situations. It did not include any of the LDS domestic humanitarian aid or general welfare assistance not related to disasters. There are plenty of reasons to criticize the Mormon Church - there is no need to make up bullshit numbers to do so.

I was the one who originally quoted that, so you can call me to task for that one. Thanks for the additional info.

Besides, the poll answers are phrased like the old "When did you stop beating your wife?" questions.

I could ask "do you think jhmd2000 is a jackass?"
A. Yes, a real dipshit
B. No, he just can't get laid.

didn't read the thread but i'll just drop this here: giving to a church should never count as charity IMO

Besides, the poll answers are phrased like the old "When did you stop beating your wife?" questions.

I could ask "do you think jhmd2000 is a jackass?"
A. Yes, a real dipshit
B. No, he just can't get laid.

Wait, why do I have to choose?

Back