• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Assistant Coach Debate: One Chair, Three Assistant Coaches.

Let's recap board logic:

"Skip Prosser is a great recruiter."

Skip passes.

"Dino was the great recruiter on that staff."

Dino is fired.

"Battle is one of the best recruiters in the country. We will be fine."

You forgot about pat Kelsey.

Even Deman said recently that Dino was definitely the better recruiter between the two (Battle and Dino).

It is my understanding that there are men who coach basketball at every d1 school in the country. Go hire one who has exceptional recruiting skills and bring him to Wake. We have no need to search only from a pool of 3 currently at Wake.

Exactly. I would hope that Danny Manning is making this decision on his own, with absolutely no help from RW as to who to keep & who to let go as was the case with the last 2 head coaches. No meddling from the athletic department. When Roy came to UNC-Ch they tried to tell him he had to take Phil Ford...he told them to stick it!

If DM is bringing his two guys with him, I'd like to see him go after a higher profile candidate to add to the staff. I briefly read over the profiles of the guys he's likely bringing and wasn't exactly blown away.

Not sure how much of a chance there is but from the KU connections area, it'd be great to see Jerrance Howard get considered (or the previously mentioned Norm Roberts). He's known as an elite recruiter. He was an assistant at Illinois (alma mater) for five years, a year with Brown at SMU, then joined Self (his coach at Illinois) at Kansas. Almost certainly going to stick at Kansas unless a head coach spot opens up since he's with his former coach at an elite school but he's what the coaching staff could use - a proven high-major recruiter.

Other names that I've seen listed by numerous sites as good assistants and/or good recruiters are:
Matt McMahon (Murray State) - knows area, regarded as a good recruiter
Jim Fox (Davidson) - knows NC, strong recruiter, good success at school
Steve Forbes (Wichita St) - great recruiting at Tennessee and Texas A&M, helped UT to postseason success
Tim Fuller (Missouri) - strong resume post WF, numerous mentions of strong recruiting, would he return to his alma mater (again)?

Not sure their feasibility but they both seem like they can recruit and have a good amount of experience to compliment the rest of the staff, which is noticeably pretty short on experience.

Last edited:
This is the type of recruiter we need. Someone who lives, eats, and breathes basketball. Someone who is well known on the recruiting trails. Yanni just completed his first year at Vanderbilt after four years under Amaker at Harvard. But he's the type of young recruiter this program so desperately needs.

Not sure how much of a chance there is but from the KU connections area, it'd be great to see Jerrance Howard get considered (or the previously mentioned Norm Roberts). He's known as an elite recruiter. He was an assistant at Illinois (alma mater) for five years, a year with Brown at SMU, then joined Self (his coach at Illinois) at Kansas. Almost certainly going to stick at Kansas unless a head coach spot opens up since he's with his former coach at an elite school but he's what the coaching staff could use - a proven high-major recruiter.

Other names that I've seen listed by numerous sites as good assistants and/or good recruiters are:
Matt McMahon (Murray State) - knows area, regarded as a good recruiter
Jim Fox (Davidson) - knows NC, strong recruiter, good success at school
Steve Forbes (Wichita St) - great recruiting at Tennessee and Texas A&M, helped UT to postseason success
Tim Fuller (Missouri) - strong resume post WF, numerous mentions of strong recruiting, would he return to his alma mater (again)?

Not sure their feasibility but they both seem like they can recruit and have a good amount of experience to compliment the rest of the staff, which is noticeably pretty short on experience.

I believe Fox is taking the HC job at App

Well looks like @JustinBauman is one of the assistants. Twitter bio - basketball coach at wake forest university

If you look at his twitter background, it just says that he is Director of Basketball Ops at Wake.
Not sure where you're looking. It clearly says "Basketball Coach at Wake Forest University".

Makes sense he would keep his DOBO. Six years as a manager under Roy and Self. Interesting.

Hard to see Childress getting in as a 3rd assistant over this guy.

Not sure where you're looking. It clearly says "Basketball Coach at Wake Forest University".

His actual background, like he said. It's sideways.

xo1ij8.jpg

Makes sense he would keep his DOBO. Six years as a manager under Roy and Self. Interesting.

Hard to see Childress getting in as a 3rd assistant over this guy.

Yes, this guy has clearly put in his dues in a way that Childress just hasn't. 6 years as a student manager, 6 years as a DOBO, 2 years as an assistant.

Back