• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

At least 172 Palestinians killed, 1,280 injured, UN says 77% are civilians

I think this all goes well beyond war crimes.

Read an article in the Detroit paper yesterday that said Israel will always have Hamas as a thorn in their side until they send ground troops into Gaza and destroy Hamas from the ground level - including citizens who align that way. Scary stuff.

this latest flare up made me really sad, because I thought it was a giant missed opportunity for both sides.

in a sane world, when those three kids were killed, Israel and the PA would have announced a joint cooperative investigation (by law enforcement, not the military, although the lines between them are pretty blurry over there) to track down and punish the criminals responsible. This tragedy could have been an opportunity to build trust between the two sides and de-legitimize Hamas types who engage in child-killing to make a political point.

Instead, of course and naturally, Israel did the usual Pavlovian response of full collective retribution against the Palestinian population. The PA and Hamas did the full Pavlovian response of tacitly and actively encouraging violence against Israel. And so we're back on the hamster wheel of killing.

Three Israelis were charged with the murder of a 16 year old Palestinian. I think this could all get somewhat ugly. I fully expect Israel to go full tilt this time.

Thanks Obama.

Three Israelis were charged with the murder of a 16 year old Palestinian. I think this could all get somewhat ugly. I fully expect Israel to go full tilt this time.

It's safe to say that this is already somewhat ugly.

My guess is that the reason civilian casualties are so high amongst Palestinians (and almost non-existent amongst Israelis) is that Hamas uses women and children as human shields, hoping to win sympathy from those who aren't paying close attention to how or why those casualties are incurred.

I'm sure that's part of it. The iron dome explains the lack of Israeli casualties. I also don't know if Palestine has the same type of "campaign" on the ground that Israel does.

And yeah I meant even ugly for these two parties.

My guess is that the reason civilian casualties are so high amongst Palestinians (and almost non-existent amongst Israelis) is that Hamas uses women and children as human shields, hoping to win sympathy from those who aren't paying close attention to how or why those casualties are incurred.

#thingsamericanssay

What kind of assholes just kill women and children anyway? If your enemy is using human shields, find another way.

Not buying it. I think it has far more to do with the fact it's just an incredibly densely populated area and when you drop a bomb on a house you're likely to kill innocent men, women, and children.

Did you watch the BeBe interview on FNC yesterday?

This is probably the dumbest post of the day, and it is not even 10:30.

I'm interested to see the international response if Israel really ramps up their attacks. I would imagine that they will be universally condemned - and I think rightfully so.

I should clarify that I think the iron dome is almost THE reason that not a single Israeli has died. The system is damn good.

I'm not worried about the international response. They'll get it right.

I'm worried about the neo-con response and the pressure on Obama to just stand in line with Israel's aggression.

If Israel seeks our help we should absolutely tell them to fuck off.

ETA: I never understood the American defense of Israel until I got to Boston and saw first-hand the response of Jewish people. Almost every single Jewish person I've met up here is a huge Zionist. Even radically liberal people in all other aspects of their life seem to be irrational about anything pertaining to Israel and war.

Last edited:
But we won't. And conservatives will turn that into Obama is a radical Muslim who hates the Jews and hates Christians.

Back