• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Athletes being "paid"

deac85

Reaction score
Looks like the SEC is leading this effort, and things could start happening sooner rather than later. Aren't we on record saying we're not going to do that? Will we join the Magnolia League with the service academies or will we backtrack when this day finally comes?

Backtrack. Dropping out of the ACC and P5 after all the expansion shenanigans we pulled in order to stay would be a historically bad move.

I could see the service academies doing it. Set a uniform midshipman rate for everyone (not just athletes) and they're good to go. I think I'm correct in saying that if they stay in the service their "career" date is day one at the academies.

Yeah no chance Wake drops out of the P5 with all the monies they've recently put into athletics, especially football. If Wake drops out of the ACC they'll be lucky to draw 10K to football games.

I'm ok with scholarship athletes receiving stipends on the order of what a graduate assistant would make. Many scholarships come with living expense stipends, etc. Anything beyond that (performance based, revenue sharing, etc.) and I'll be done. The closer college athletics get's to professional farm teams, the less interested I am in watching.

I'm ok with scholarship athletes receiving stipends on the order of what a graduate assistant would make. Many scholarships come with living expense stipends, etc. Anything beyond that (performance based, revenue sharing, etc.) and I'll be done. The closer college athletics get's to professional farm teams, the less interested I am in watching.

Nail on the head. I don't watch pro sports AT ALL. College sports, to this point, have been about pure competition by the athletes unsullied by money -- excluding the expectation of future earnings. There is no earthly reason why this should change.

$7.5M funds 85 graduate stipends for about 5 years.

I think what will most likely happen is that football and basketball (and maybe women's basketball) will be more like graduate programs. There will be a set number of "funded" spots and the rest unfunded. A set number of student-athletes will get paid a stipend and the rest won't. It basically adds another tier to scholarships vs. walk-ons now. Leave it up to schools how to distribute their spots.

Another way to do it for Title IX purposes would be to give the same number of funded spots to men and women and let the ADs figure out which sports get them.

As far as pay, tie it to the mean graduate stipend offered at the university. That will peg it to local cost of living.

According the The Bagman article, you've been watching professional college sports for a while. Money is merely going from under the table to above it. SEC is trying to head off full-blown professionalism with incrementalism. TV money is the corrupting influence of the paradigm you love.

The current paradigm is everybody but the players are getting paid big money and the players are stuck with sham educations.

I think the players should be paid, and eventually they will be. But I also think that they should also be required to take serious courses.

Looks like the SEC is leading this effort, and things could start happening sooner rather than later. Aren't we on record saying we're not going to do that? Will we join the Magnolia League with the service academies or will we backtrack when this day finally comes?

Our university president, who will likely only be here for a few more years, is on record as saying something to that effect. Our next university president will play ball.

$7.5M funds 85 graduate stipends for about 5 years.

I think what will most likely happen is that football and basketball (and maybe women's basketball) will be more like graduate programs. There will be a set number of "funded" spots and the rest unfunded. A set number of student-athletes will get paid a stipend and the rest won't. It basically adds another tier to scholarships vs. walk-ons now. Leave it up to schools how to distribute their spots.

Another way to do it for Title IX purposes would be to give the same number of funded spots to men and women and let the ADs figure out which sports get them.

As far as pay, tie it to the mean graduate stipend offered at the university. That will peg it to local cost of living.

Yeah, Title IX is going to make this expensive. You'll basically have to double whatever you were planning to give football and men's basketball players (by giving stipends to a bunch of female athletes). I wish it could somehow be linked to revenue sports only, so that if the women's BBall team makes money (see UConn, Tenn, etc.), then they get the stipend, but we'll never see that.

The current paradigm is everybody but the players are getting paid big money and the players are stuck with sham educations.

Who's fault is that? The players have a chance to get a great education. No need to pay the players anything except their normal stidend. You are not seeing the Little Leaguers getting paid this summer at the LLWS are you when they play in Williamsport and that is generating mega-millions for Little League baseball.

Which is also another problem.

Yes Hatch has committed. Based on the arguments presented on this thread, Wake is painting itself into a corner. Eventually college football and basketball will become semi-pro and similar to a franchise. Thus why i am beginning to lose interest.

Wake Forest “might cease playing Division I or Football Bowl Subdivision sports entirely if pay-for-play became a reality,” says a statement from university president Nathan Hatch.

“Instituting a pay-for-play model, even if the payments are deferred to after graduation would change the nature of the relationship Wake Forest has with its football and men’s basketball student-athletes. It would, essentially, turn those teams into professional squads. That would not be acceptable to Wake Forest.”

Read more at http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2...ball-if-players-get-paid/#1TqohOjMVbD755yV.99

And if Hatch stuck to his guns, he'd be out of a job immediately.

All this Avery Brundagesque "the sky will fall, the sky will fall" if college athletes are paid is just over the wall. The Olympics did not end when the phoney-baloney amaturism was dumped. It's ridiculous that lots of people are making a mint, while the athletes get a few sham classes. This crap cannot be maintained. Too many over-paid employees with sinecures and too many expensive amenities in athletic departments.

Yeah no chance Wake drops out of the P5 with all the monies they've recently put into athletics, especially football. If Wake drops out of the ACC they'll be lucky to draw 10K to football games.

That's about 8,000 more than will show. If Wake drops out of the P5, it can place bleachers on either side of the practice field for games.

I remember Eric Dickerson telling me he came close to taking a pay cut to go from SMU to the NFL. I think he was only about half joking.

Back