• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlanta airport

Wake95

Reaction score
I am driving to ATL from Winston on Wed to get on an international flight. If I typically allow say 5hrs to get there from here, how much time will I realistically need to add on due to the I85 debacle? My flight leaves just before 6pm. Figure I need to be there at least 2 hrs prior...so, if I want to get there by around 3:30, what time would I be safe leaving Winston?

Why in the world aren't you flying GSO to ATL?

You could leave at 11:00am and be there by 3:30pm. You could also leave at 11:00am and be half way there by midnight. May the odds be ever in your favor

You should be able to avoid the 85 problem by taking 285 around the city. I don't think it should add more than 15 minutes to your trip, and in the middle of the day there probably won't be traffic.

You should be able to avoid the 85 problem by taking 285 around the city. I don't think it should add more than 15 minutes to your trip, and in the middle of the day there probably won't be traffic.

False.

If it were me I would leave the night before and book a cheap hotel.

False.

If it were me I would leave the night before and book a cheap hotel.

Eh I very rarely hit traffic taking 285 to the airport outside of rush hour, though that's on the west side and not the east side where the OP will likely be going.

You'll have to take 285 around. The only question will be 285W or 285E. Check your app when you get close and see which way traffic is heaviest.

Eh I very rarely hit traffic taking 285 to the airport outside of rush hour, though that's on the west side and not the east side where the OP will likely be going.

But all 85-S traffic isn't usually diverted to 285. I don't know what to expect at this point, and I'm not sure anyone else does either. Friday wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been because a ton of people stayed home and traffic was light to begin with due to spring break this week. I think we will see the real "new normal" next Monday.

right. mystery men seems like he hasn't paid attention to the last week.

We rode home on 85 N from the airport this afternoon and it was the most empty I've ever seen presumably because of this.

It might be worth taking 77 to Columbia, then 20 to 285. Watch the news this week to see how it goes when everyone tries their normal routine.

I live about 2 miles from this mess. I had to drive back from the airport on Friday morning around 10am. Took I-285E and sat in a lot of traffic. Took about 50 minutes when it would normally take me around 25 minutes on I-85 at that time.

So not a disaster... BUT that was at a time when it shouldn't be bad to begin with.

I'd just add an hour to whatever reasonable calculations you were making. And use Waze. Google maps, from what I've noticed over the last few days, isn't doing as good a job accounting for the I-85 issue.

The issue is also compounded by it being spring break for public schools. So it will be a crap shoot and basically no way to plan on what the traffic will be. I would lean toward building in an hour and a half from your baseline.

The issue is also compounded by it being spring break for public schools. So it will be a crap shoot and basically no way to plan on what the traffic will be. I would lean toward building in an hour and a half from your baseline.

Yeah, starting next Monday we are officially skull fucked

Back