• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: 1 Day in Munich

leftcoastdeac

Robert O'Kelley
Reaction score
I'm in Germany on Business in 2 weeks and will have 1 free day in Munich. What should I do?

I've been to Munich a couple of times and all I can remember doing is drinking. I honestly don't know a single thing about the city other than beer.

Drink beer and go to Neuschwanstein

I've been to Munich a couple of times and all I can remember doing is drinking. I honestly don't know a single thing about the city other than beer.

Beer is more or less the plan. The wife asked me to get her a new Hofbrahaus sweatshirt, so obviously there will be beer had there. Any other places in particular I should go to eat/drink?

beer garden in the Englischer Garten. i spent a couple days in munich last spring and loved it. check out the bike tours of the city (Mike's tour is 49 euros, but they also offer bike rentals.) despite its name, the glockenspiel is a big let down, but the marienplatz itself is really cool. if you dont do a bike tour then be sure to just walk around the center of the city and check out the random beer gartens. beautiful city.

Wife and I did Mike's bikes and enjoyed it. Takes you to a nice outdoor beer garden. If you are going to be by yourself this is probably the best way to socialize with some people other than walking up to locals and giving them the heil hitler.

Oddly enough some of the best food I had in Munich was not German. There was an awesome greek place on the train station road where it meets the inner loop, and even the Doner Kebab place at the train station was delicious.

There's lots to do and see in Marienplatz - plenty of touristy places, good dining establishments, and the Hofbräuhaus is 5-10 minute walk away.

One day is perfect for Munich. The primary attraction is beer (and the halls it is found in). There are some other pretty cool things in the city and Neuschwanstein is really cool in the countryside. But really, Munich is not a top level tourist city except for the beer. So, drink beer, wander around the pedestrian areas in the center, and don't feel like you've missed that much because you really haven't.

I enjoyed the Deutsches Museum (large technology and science museum.. a V2 rocket and a sub stood out among other things). Dachau was heavy but worth the cab ride.

Back