• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Any Boston Tourist Recommendations?

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
Taking a 3-4 day trip to Boston for Labor Day weekend. Does anyone have any good recs for restaurants, places to visit? My hotel is next to Faneuil Hall, i've got tickets to Fenway on friday night, and i'm going to see Nick Offerman perform on Saturday night. I was thinking of going here http://www.topofthehub.net/ for dinner during Sunset on Saturday night before the comedy show.

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum(Half price on Sunday)
Museum of Fine Arts(Free after 4:30 on Wednesday)
Institute of Contemporary Arts(Free Thursday afternoon)
Museum of Science
New England Aquarium
Freedom Trail
African American History Trail
Harvard(they have 5 museums as well)
MIT(MIT museum is free from 10am-12pm on Sunday)

Wander around all the following areas, Beacon Hill, North End, South End, Back Bay, Esplanade.

Depending on how much time off you have all these are easy day trips accessible by commuter rail. Salem(witch trials), Rockport/Gloucester(fishing towns), Lexington/Concord(Revolutionary War, Walden Pond), Plymouth Plantation.

If you want seafood, go to the Barking Crab or No Name Restaurant. Both are informal and you'll pay at least 20% less than the fancier Legal Seafood chain that everyone wrongly recommends.

If you need any other specifics, just ask.

never been, I hear the Duck Tour is good though. Is Harvard worth a visit?

Do the Super Duck Tour. It includes two day use of a hop on hop off trolley tour which will include Harvard, the Splash tour (which is essentially what the Duck Tour does) and you can pick one of 5 other options for free (including a Harbor Cruise). I think it's only $2 more than the Duck Tour.

I was just there over 4th of July week, had a great time. I Strongly recommend hitting up Yankee Lobster company and then going to the Harpoon Brewery (or vice-versa).

Get a sausage from the Sausage King outside of Fenway.

Tip HuskyDeac generously for his concierge recommendations. Barking Crab is a cool place. Aquarium is great too.

I can't believe people like Barking Crab, that place is one of the 5 worst places I've been here and I used to have to go all the time due to working close to it so it wasn't just a "bad day". No accounting for taste I guess.

I haven't seen a rec for Charlestown and Bunker Hill, that's a touristy to-do.

While in North End the Old North Church and Revere's house are tourist must-dos too, they don't take long.

Harvard Sq < Davis Sq but you might as well tour Harvard U.

It's a shame we don't make useful tags on this board so it's easy to find the times this has been brought up before.

I can't believe people like Barking Crab, that place is one of the 5 worst places I've been here and I used to have to go all the time due to working close to it so it wasn't just a "bad day". No accounting for taste I guess.

I haven't seen a rec for Charlestown and Bunker Hill, that's a touristy to-do.

While in North End the Old North Church and Revere's house are tourist must-dos too, they don't take long.

Harvard Sq < Davis Sq but you might as well tour Harvard U.

It's a shame we don't make useful tags on this board so it's easy to find the times this has been brought up before.

I just searched the forums for "barking crab" to find what I wrote the last time this was asked. I remembered you greatly opposing that suggestion. :D

Here's that thread, http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/10476-Boston-Help?highlight=barking+crab

I checked out the Mapparium a couple of years ago. The whole Christian Science Plaza and museum is really cool.

Definitely take a stroll through the Boston Public Garden as well, I much prefer it to the Boston Common. I have a soft spot for the swan boats, but that might not really be very exciting for an adult, especially if you haven't read Make Way for Ducklings.

Back