• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Banking Recs

DrummerDeac

Reaction score
Pit, what are the best options currently out there for regular savings and checking accounts? Online-only banks are fine; I don't need a brick & mortar presence.

I currently use Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct), and they just ruined the user experience with a horrible website upgrade. I've been with them for over 10 years but I need to switch... it is practically unusable. The navigation/account layout got worse, my account details either don't load at all or take forever to load, and transfers between accounts cannot be easily edited. At first I thought there was a glitch with the new website launch that would be recognized and fixed, but it's been about two weeks and the website is still unacceptable for normal use so I'm looking into other options.

I'm looking for a good website interface, decent interest rate, and no monthly fees, and somewhere where I could have both a savings and a checking account (i.e. not a brokerage firm).

Thanks!

Pit, what are the best options currently out there for regular savings and checking accounts? Online-only banks are fine; I don't need a brick & mortar presence.

I currently use Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct), and they just ruined the user experience with a horrible website upgrade. I've been with them for over 10 years but I need to switch... it is practically unusable. The navigation/account layout got worse, my account details either don't load at all or take forever to load, and transfers between accounts cannot be easily edited. At first I thought there was a glitch with the new website launch that would be recognized and fixed, but it's been about two weeks and the website is still unacceptable for normal use so I'm looking into other options.

I'm looking for a good website interface, decent interest rate, and no monthly fees, and somewhere where I could have both a savings and a checking account (i.e. not a brokerage firm).

Thanks!

Ally Bank.

BofA if you ever wanted a brick and mortar accompaniment and pretty seamless access between brokerage.

Might want to look at USAA bank if you are eligible.

So I just found out that Wells hits you with a $2.50 ATM fee on top of the $2-5 that the ATM charges. What's that all about?

Do Ally or any of the others offer a decent IR on a simple savings account (or any promotional type deals)? Used to love the Wachovia WayToSave where you could transfer up to $150/mo and $1 for every transaction from checking. I think the 1st year interest rate was something ridiculous like 6% with 3% thereafter.

just my $0.02 but I think you're almost always better off with a good credit union rather than some behemoth bank that makes its money off hitting you up with fees every chance it gets. We've been very happy with NC State Employees Credit Union.

So I just found out that Wells hits you with a $2.50 ATM fee on top of the $2-5 that the ATM charges. What's that all about?

Do Ally or any of the others offer a decent IR on a simple savings account (or any promotional type deals)? Used to love the Wachovia WayToSave where you could transfer up to $150/mo and $1 for every transaction from checking. I think the 1st year interest rate was something ridiculous like 6% with 3% thereafter.

No ones giving those type of interest rates anymore. They best you'll get is from the online banks like Ally.

just my $0.02 but I think you're almost always better off with a good credit union rather than some behemoth bank that makes its money off hitting you up with fees every chance it gets. We've been very happy with NC State Employees Credit Union.

TITCR.

USAA has nationwide free ATMs (via reimbursement up to a monthly cap, which you should rarely if ever hit).

Thanks, all. Ally was one of the ones that came up in my quick research. BofA - never would have crossed my mind, interesting.

Credit unions are a good way to go also, although I'm not eligible for USAA. I do have a separate credit union account that I use basically as a savings account (gets a good interest rate if I meet the criteria). To be honest the website interface isn't that great, but then again, since I really just use it for the interest rate and free ATM withdrawals, I haven't really used their portal much. Now that I think about it, it's functionally fine, but looks a little dated (hard to explain) so I think I just assumed most credit unions/smaller institutions were that way since a lot of them use the same/similar vendor for their online banking platforms.

BofA spends a lot more on product development than most banks, so they run a good 6-12 months ahead on innovation while most other banks just copy what they've done. But they've always been a leader or near the top of the pack with online banking. Having a Merrill or US Trust or Private Bank account with them makes everything else online pretty easy, IOW, you don't have to wait a day for funds from an investment account to be wired to checking.

Back