• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Buying a new television

That time of year again. Anyone been doing research and have strong opinions on things like QLED vs Mini LED vs QD-OLED?

That time of year again. Anyone been doing research and have strong opinions on things like QLED vs Mini LED vs QD-OLED?

Same here.

What I really want is a big screen (maybe 75") that has no or very little smart features. I want my AppleTV to be the brains and I'd rather not wait for all the OEM smart(ish) clutter to disappear so I can see the AppleTV interface. LG does OK (not perfect) at that. Samsung (or at least mine) obscures the screen with its own crap for 15 seconds or so after I power it on.

Our TCLs don’t have any sort of clutter when on different hdmi inputs. Even on the native app Home Screen on the android one, there’s no tcl garbage

This is what I'm struggling with right now. We moved into a new house last year and one of the bedrooms is mine to do what I want, and I opted last year to go bigger over better. I ended up buying a 70" LG basic LED TV for around 800 or so. I have a nice Sony Bravia downstairs and you can definitely tell the drop-off in quality. I'm debating switching out the LG with the 1300 OLED from Best Buy. I also think Walmart has another OLED on sale around the same price so I need to look into it more

This. LG oled's are amazeballs. Bought ours a few years ago and there was a significant price difference between 65 and the next size up. Though, the price above is a nice drop

We've been very pleased with our 65 inch one.

Rtings.com is your friend and slickdeals
Rtings is especially helpful because they let you create your own review parameters to sort television ratings based on your preferences, so if you need a wide viewing angle in a bright room, but you only watch movies and don’t play video games, you will get different results than someone with different preferences.

Yeah right now it's nice to essentially have 3 options instead of two.

There are two night-and-day better than everything else out there TV's right now. Samsung's QD-OLED (s90c) and the C3 from LG. There seem to be a lot of arguments between the two, but basically they both give you the pq, color, and perfect blacks of OLED while jacking the brightness up to traditionally LED-only levels. If you want the best tv out there, get one.

But as posted above, that also means there are new (and variable) price points for the lower tier OLEDs, which imho puts them also as a no-brainer over any LED/QLED in all but the brightest of rooms or at the absolute largest sizes.

If you do go LED, I'd lean TCL or maybe HiSense depending on whatever discount is running at any given moment. I don't think generally the cost of Samsungs are worth it by comparison, and you're usually dipping into the "save some money" category here.

Incidentally, I had one of the older LG OLED's and got some legit burn-in. I argued with LG for a while then they agreed to repair it. They couldn't find a repair person so I told them I'd do it myself.

They sent me an entire 65" replacement panel (basically the entire tv minus the internal boards and speakers) and I snagged a 2 year newer board/chipset off the internet. Replacement was similar to a laptop repair, outcome was for $120 I got a new panel, 2 years newer guts/tech (which added Atmos), and 4k 120hz support. Thanks LG!

That 65 inch lg oled b3 looks good. I paid 1300 for a 55 inch LG OLED55B9PUA (lower end oled, pretty sure) in 2020, so prices seem like they’re continuing to come down for what you get.

[It’s been perfect for our use. Still great.]

Crutchfield has the 55 inch LG C3 on sale for $1300. 65 inch for $1600.

Ymmv, but I've noticed that Target in Winston-Salem frequently mis-prices their TVs. The 50", 65", and 70" models of the LG i purchased were all tagged at the advertised 50" price.

BTW, I hadn't looked in a while... but, it's pretty crazy how much prices have dropped on mid-tier big screens.

There are decent 70" options out there for <$600

Back