• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: car questions

elquintodeac

Reaction score
1. I've got a 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 with 226k with a transmission that won't shift into the higher gears. Engine is in good shape, exterior has some scrapes and scratches, some leather is cracking inside. I am getting rid of it. One shop offered me $350 by weight. A junkyard offered $400. Is there any chance I would get more by putting it on ebay or craigslist or are those reasonable offers?

2. I've been looking at getting a Subaru, probably a new Legacy. Maybe an Outback if I decide to go full Vermont lesbian. Anybody got one? Good/bad experiences? Thoughts on their cvt's?

1. I've got a 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 with 226k with a transmission that won't shift into the higher gears. Engine is in good shape, exterior has some scrapes and scratches, some leather is cracking inside. I am getting rid of it. One shop offered me $350 by weight. A junkyard offered $400. Is there any chance I would get more by putting it on ebay or craigslist or are those reasonable offers?

2. I've been looking at getting a Subaru, probably a new Legacy. Maybe an Outback if I decide to go full Vermont lesbian. Anybody got one? Good/bad experiences? Thoughts on their cvt's?

almost always, yes.

it doesn't cost anything to TRY to put it on ebay. just set the minimum at $400 since you know you could get that from the junkyard, and see if you get any bids. if not, oh well.

I once got 5x what a mechanic told me carmax would offer (for junk, pretty much) by selling privately.

Go ahead and take it by Carmax and get a quote. It's free and quick. And Carmax offered my $1,000 more than dealer-trade.

ETA: Of course, selling privately will yield more $$$, but is more hastle.

Even if the car needs a new transmission? My Volvo mechanic has confirmed as much.

Carmax will give you an offer but it will probably be about what the junkyard offers because they don't want it on their lot. I have found that for a 2-5 year old car with low to average miles carmax will probably give you a better offer than a dealer because they will put it on their lot to sell but if it is older or higher mileage they are just going to send it straight to the auction so they will usually give you a pretty crappy offer since they don't really want the car.They won't be making much on it due to the labor involved in getting rid of it. You might could put it on Craigslist for $1000 as-is and see if you get any offers, if someone can fix it themselves on the cheap they might give you that much for it.

Carmax will give you an offer but it will probably be about what the junkyard offers because they don't want it on their lot. I have found that for a 2-5 year old car with low to average miles carmax will probably give you a better offer than a dealer because they will put it on their lot to sell but if it is older or higher mileage they are just going to send it straight to the auction so they will usually give you a pretty crappy offer since they don't really want the car.They won't be making much on it due to the labor involved in getting rid of it. You might could put it on Craigslist for $1000 as-is and see if you get any offers, if someone can fix it themselves on the cheap they might give you that much for it.

This

I have a 2011 Impreza and I love it. It rides well, the brakes are great, and Subaru's hold their value. My only complaint is the mileage (about 25 MPG), but otherwise, could not be happier. I know absolutely nothing about cars and just wanted something that was safe and reliable.

I pulled a 13-year old Lexus 400 with no AC and 130,000 miles on it into Carmax and they gave me almost twice what the dealer was offering.

I have a 2011 Impreza and I love it. It rides well, the brakes are great, and Subaru's hold their value. My only complaint is the mileage (about 25 MPG), but otherwise, could not be happier. I know absolutely nothing about cars and just wanted something that was safe and reliable.

I have a 2008 legacy outback and LOVE it. rides well, i like the AWD, and if we leave the pacnw and i don't want it anymore, i know it will have held it's value well.

I have a 2008 legacy outback and LOVE it. rides well, i like the AWD, and if we leave the pacnw and i don't want it anymore, i know it will have held it's value well.

I thought one model is the Legacy and one is the Outback. Assume you have an Outback?

I have the quintessential station wagon, but I believe it's the legacy model... meaning longer/wider/not as compact as the outback sport... ? I think?

Back