• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Couch Advice

ITK

the desert dwarf
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new couch. I don't mind paying for quality, but it sort of seems from all my research that quality has gone down the last 20 years. What kind of couch do you have? Do you like it? I definately want fabric over leather so don't suggest this:

pg0XdH3.png

Microfiber. Looks sharp/modern/clean, very durable and you can't stain it. Wine, bodily fluids, pet/hoodrat hair, etc. all come right off with a dustbuster and some soapy water.

Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, West Elm all have plenty of it for decent prices.

I think that might be what my current couch is and I like it. For the amount of times I have spilled coffee on it in 7 years, it looks pretty good.

I think that might be what my current couch is and I like it. For the amount of times I have spilled coffee on it in 7 years, it looks pretty good.
Why not buy some fabric and get it reupholstered or take an upholstery class at the community college and reupholster it yourself for your class project? Depending on the size you probably won't need more than 20 yards and if you've got a solid or something where you don't have to match up the pattern you can get by with less. You already sew so I'm confident you could do it no problem. Just need someone with a truck.

I would not buy from C&B. Wife and I did that a few years back and have regretted it. It's not much better than Ikea. Find a reputable local furniture store and buy there. No opinion on fabric. There are lots of good easy-to-clean options these days.

Microfiber. Looks sharp/modern/clean, very durable and you can't stain it. Wine, bodily fluids, pet/hoodrat hair, etc. all come right off with a dustbuster and some soapy water.

Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, West Elm all have plenty of it for decent prices.

this

or Room & Board if you're really into it

I would not buy from C&B. Wife and I did that a few years back and have regretted it. It's not much better than Ikea. Find a reputable local furniture store and buy there. No opinion on fabric. There are lots of good easy-to-clean options these days.

See, I was wondering if these mid level places like C&B were worth it. If I wanted Ikea quality, I'd go Ikea and for $500 not give a shit what my cats do to it.

See, I was wondering if these mid level places like C&B were worth it. If I wanted Ikea quality, I'd go Ikea and for $500 not give a shit what my cats do to it.

uh, C&B is a lot better quality than Ikea. Maybe she got it from their "old navy" brand, CB2?

but that's why you go to West Elm or Room & Board

uh, C&B is a lot better quality than Ikea. Maybe she got it from their "old navy" brand, CB2?

but that's why you go to West Elm or Room & Board

It really depends on what you buy from C&B. Some of their stuff is nice but some is junk and nowhere near worth the price.

Among the big national chains we like Arhaus. We have bought several items there over the years and never been disappointed, including a microfiber couch we bought after we were first married that has lasted through two kids and a dog with minimal wear and tear.

Just don't ever buy a leather sofa from Pottery Barn. Pure, hot garbage.

Leather from Ashley Furniture. Had it for 8 years, and no complaints other than my fat ass made a pit in the middle of the three cusion couch.. My bad.

Absolutely must regardless of manufacturer - 8-way hand tied.

Back