• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Do People Still Get Mumps?

BillBrasky

#PSF
Reaction score
Because I just got diagnosed with it, I think. One side of my jaw line has been swelling up the last couple days so I went to the doctor and I thought he said that I had non-contagious mumps. He then said I probably got it from being dehydrated, which is entirely possible after my last weekend, but it confused me because I thought that mumps was a virus.

He then prescribed me antibiotics and pain meds, which I just took. Does anybody know what the hell just happened?

Wait....doesn't everyone get a mumps vaccine as children?

Wait....doesn't everyone get a mumps vaccine as children?

Yes, which is why I don't think Brasky actually has teh mumps. Is it possible for it to just be a bacterial infection of the salivary glands? any doctors in the house?

You can still get the mumps after having been vaccinated. A guy in my office had it back in February. He's 43 and was vaccinated years ago. He said the doctor told him something like 500 people in the US get it every year. It's rare but it happens.

Without seeing the size of the rest of the kid, at first glance I'd just think he was fat.

But why teh hell are they putting him on antibiotics? To prevent a secondary infection?

The past couple times I've been seen for a virus I was also given ABX. They told me it was due to infections piggybacking a virus. Essentially you're in a weakened state and are more susceptible to get an infection while a virus is on board. IMO, its just overprescribing of ABX, but I'm no MD either.

Without seeing the size of the rest of the kid, at first glance I'd just think he was fat.

Yeah my face kind of looks like. Its freaking scary looking.

And yeah I got all my shots as a kid. This is just so weird.

Yes, there are still sporadic outbreaks of mumps that occur in a variety of settings in the U.S.

No, dehydration wouldn't cause mumps. Mumps is caused by a virus.

No, mumps won't respond to antibiotics...and they're not generally given or recommended for someone diagnosed with mumps.

Yes, perhaps your doctor thinks you might have "parotitis", which can be caused by bacteria (increased risk of this in setting of dehydration) or viruses. If suppurative (pus coming out of major salivary duct--bacterial infection is what's going on here) then IV antibiotics are the usual treatment. For viral cases (like mumps), there's no pus, and antibiotics don't help.

Salivary gland/duct stones can also cause swelling of these areas and might reasonably be treated with oral antibiotics as well as other/supportive treatment. Dehydration might increase the risk of this condition.

If a physician just isn't sure but thinks you don't have the usually more serious suppurative (bacterial) case, he/she may just hedge by treating you symptomatically and throwing in some oral antibiotics to try and minimize the risk of bacterial complication. That's just how things often work.

Yes, there are still sporadic outbreaks of mumps that occur in a variety of settings in the U.S.

No, dehydration wouldn't cause mumps. Mumps is caused by a virus.

No, mumps won't respond to antibiotics...and they're not generally given or recommended for someone diagnosed with mumps.

Yes, perhaps your doctor thinks you might have "parotitis", which can be caused by bacteria (increased risk of this in setting of dehydration) or viruses. If suppurative (pus coming out of major salivary duct--bacterial infection is what's going on here) then IV antibiotics are the usual treatment. For viral cases (like mumps), there's no pus, and antibiotics don't help.

Salivary gland/duct stones can also cause swelling of these areas and might reasonably be treated with oral antibiotics as well as other/supportive treatment. Dehydration might increase the risk of this condition.

If a physician just isn't sure but thinks you don't have the usually more serious suppurative (bacterial) case, he/she may just hedge by treating you symptomatically and throwing in some oral antibiotics to try and minimize the risk of bacterial complication. That's just how things often work.

OK this is exactly what happened. He did reach inside my mouth and say something about my gums being swollen with pus. Thanks for clearing that up Connor.

Yep. Also him saying it was non-contagious would lead me to believe that was the diagnosis. Right Connor?

If you were told it's not contagious, then he didn't think you have mumps.

Maybe he said it's something "like" mumps??

Anyhow, I've just tried to offer some info wrt things that can cause swollen salivary glands. Not trying to say what you have or what you should do. [/disclaimer ;)]

If you were told it's not contagious, then he didn't think you have mumps.

Maybe he said it's something "like" mumps??

Anyhow, I've just tried to offer some info wrt things that can cause swollen salivary glands. Not trying to say what you have or what you should do. [/disclaimer ;)]

Yeah that's what I thought. He definitely said it was NOT-CONTAGIOUS and then mentioned something about mumps. So I guess that's what I have. Good to know I don't have a prehistoric disease.

Back