• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Home Insurance

doubledeac

Reaction score
New home buyer and need to price out insurance. Any easy way to do so (like a Kayak/Travelocity for insurance)? I likely won't bundle unless I switch the title on my car over and it saves money in the long run.

Are local companies usually more inexpensive than the big ones? Any info is appreciated as I didn't see a thread on this.

If you qualify for USAA, call them. The end.
If not, I've got nothing for you.

Unfortunately, I think this is one area where you still have to do some leg work by either calling for quotes or getting quotes on-line. I do think it's worth it to get home and auto through the same company though.

Bundling saved me a shit ton (something like 40%) on my car insurance, I will say that. Unless your car insurance provider doesn't do homeowners, I'd start there

agree on USAA- if you qualify they are excellent.

MAn, perfect, I mean perfect timing for a thread. My bill just came in and I was thinking of shopping around. Think I will just sit back and learn from the masters. :popcorn:

Like Helton said, you're going to need to do some legwork. Like smallbig said, I'd start where your auto insurance is. Bundling will save you, especially over the long run. You're a big boy now that you're buying a house, time to come off mommy and daddy's car insurance policy. That may end up costing you more in auto insurance but in the long run it'll work out in your favor.

Personally, I'd recommend finding an independent agent, hopefully by referral, who can talk you through what you're buying and run quotes with multiple carriers. If you're not comfortable with that, you can do almost all your shopping over the phone. There aren't that many "small" or "local" companies anymore and the big boys are probably going to give better service in a claim and more sophisticated products and better rates. What I would do is call a big carrier, like Allstate or Liberty Mutual, and let them hit you will all the questions every company will ask, just to get an idea of what's happening during the process and what info they'll need. You can probably get an idea of rates as well. Then you can come back here and bounce ideas off or whatever.

As far as companies, USAA is a great choice if you have the option. If not, the recommendations are a little more difficult because , on some level, all companies are pretty similar. I would look at the JD Power rankings, they're actually pretty solid for insurance companies. I'm not a huge fan of the direct-writers (like liberty mutual/geico/progressive direct) b/c it's a call-center mentality, no matter what they tell you. Its a pump and dump. Like I said before, I'd try to find the local small town independent agent, though they might seem kind of donk-ish.

One other note when you're buying a new house. Find out if you'll need flood insurance ASAP. The bank will require it if you're in a high-risk zone, and they might not figure that out until about a week from closing and it can be a deal breaker. I;d even recommend adding the flood insurance contingency into your offer, if you're not past it, unless you're certain the house isn't in a high risk zone.

PM me if you want more specific info or want some explanation of insurance language/coverage or if you want me to check on the flood insurance situation for your property.

ETA. I live in PA and can't sell you anything, so don't worry 'bout that

Last edited:
Could use some help as well. We bought a house and want to rent out our condo so we are thinking Homeowners on the new house, Landlord Insurance on the rental, and then some Umbrella policy to cover us in the event the Liability amounts don't cover us. Any advice on this? Liability amounts for Landlord/Homeowners. Rough figures for the Dwelling Replacement on the new house is 500k, we have master insurance on the condo so dwelling we were thinking would be 50k.

Just my two cents...I used to be a mortgage broker and consistently sent people to three different agencies to sample products, pricing, etc... Tom Needham in Greensboro, NC won almost all of the deals. He is a broker that only deals in AAA insurance companies. I'm no longer in that field, but his office phone number is 336-855-1223 if you want a comparison.

USAA is great. My wife is from a military family so we have access. Great products at crazy low rates.

I have usaa but the only thing I've not used them for is home insurance. Was always more expensive than others which was weird but after watching Ron Rivera video and knowing their excellent service and generally low prices I'd pay extra to use em

Back