• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP Housing for Graduate Students

Deaclaw

Reaction score
My girlfriend is going to grad school in counseling at Wake in the fall. She will need housing for at least Monday through Thursday of each week. What are the best places to live near Wake Forest for grad students? She has been sent information about WF apartments but they don't provide a lot of information about the living arrangements.

She would prefer a furnished place.

What are the pros and cons of Wake Forest properties?
What other accommodations are near campus?
Are there areas that she should avoid?

Last edited:
Avoid: Sugar Creek. No doubt people will try to say "check it out." They are lying.

I am finishing up Grad School this year. Most of my classmates live in the apartment complexes close to campus. Crowne Oaks, Crowne Polo and Crowne Park are the three that the majority live in. Crowne Oaks is my favorite but Crowne Park is also nice. Crowne Polo is sort of a pain in the ass because if you are not going from the correct way on Silas Creek you have to always drive an extra half mile so that you can pull a u-turn. If she is a grad student, I would stick with those three options.

Avoid: Sugar Creek. No doubt people will try to say "check it out." They are lying.

You're crazy- the best car break-in I ever experienced was at Sugar Creek. It's where I learned how well thumping bass travels through a multi-unit residential building at 3am. You clearly are someone who doesn't enjoy gunfire in your neighborhood.

4979194.jpg

I am finishing up Grad School this year. Most of my classmates live in the apartment complexes close to campus. Crowne Oaks, Crowne Polo and Crowne Park are the three that the majority live in. Crowne Oaks is my favorite but Crowne Park is also nice. Crowne Polo is sort of a pain in the ass because if you are not going from the correct way on Silas Creek you have to always drive an extra half mile so that you can pull a u-turn. If she is a grad student, I would stick with those three options.

The Crownes are all good options since they have shuttle service, Alaris Village isn't bad either (shuttle also runs here, which she'll probably want). She should just choose which of those gives her the best vibe/price point tbh.

I know a couple people that did Deacon's Station, which from what I can tell is individually leased rooms in town homes. But I think they can provide furnished rooms, which I'm not sure any of the places I mentioned above do. So that would also be worth looking into. DS also provides their own shuttle service to campus.

ETA: Crowne Polo may be a pain to turn into when driving, but it's probably the only realistic option for walking to campus easily. I have a friend that lives there and walks to polo street > campus (there is a footpath somewhere apparently so you can stay off Silas), and says it's about a ten minute walk. So that may also be a perk.

Last edited:
Back in 1990, after I got thrown off campus by a bunch of losers on the judicial board, I lived in Brittany Oaks, which was the cheaper alternative to the more upscale Sugar Creek. You might want to check it out. I think it's called Enclave at North Point now.

And I just noticed you mentioned Wake properties in the first post, I'd probably stay away from those if I were her. Not worth it at all.

Is this the rental information they sent out? http://www.wfu.edu/properties/?page=properties There are plenty of people here that have lived on those streets that could tell you more. She should find out if she's able to go in with someone else from her program so she could have a little more control over who she is living with (if she's concerned about different hours, etc). Those are probably the only furnished options, otherwise she'd most likely have to get her own apartment on a non-Wake property and furnish it.

The law school also has a page for housing that has roommate requests as well as listings in the area. http://law.wfu.edu/housing/ Sometimes you can find professors that are renting rooms or smaller apartments if she wants to go that route.

This place is a dump, stay away. Unless you like getting pink eye from swimming in the pool.

THE CORNERS @ Crystal Lake is a PARADISE. An OASIS in a barren wasteland. Where else will you have dozens of tires slashed generously in the middle of the night? Where else can you have local teenagers sit on your truck at the wee hours of the morning pounding SPARXX?!?! You elitists at your Crowne properties have no idea how the REAL PEOPLE of Winston-Salem live.

Awake

That is what they send out. Thanks. She is looking at all her options.

Just to piggy-back off Knight... I currently live right next to campus and walk to school every day. I don't know exactly what building your gf will be in but you can't beat walking across University and having the law school right there. Makes life so much easier and helps save some money for parking. Not to mention parking is an absolute nightmare in some of the lots.

Back