• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP Legal Advice: General Release Form

DeaconSoDear

A.W. Hamilton
Reaction score
Basic Question: Are there any steps I should take before signing a general release form?

Situation: We bought a house several months ago and have since had issues with several things our home inspector probably should have discovered during the inspection e.g. moisture damage and rotten siding. After getting estimates to have this corrected I contacted our inspector to see if he carried any sort of E&O insurance that may help cover some of the cost; he did not. He did, however, come to the house, review the areas in question, and agreed that those were issues he should have identified. Ultimately he offered to cover the cost of correcting one of the issues which will be about 50% of the total cost of what needs to be fixed. Before sending a check he has asked that I sign a general release...this is the point we are at now.

It is my understanding that he doesn't really have any obligation to assist us here so I am inclined to sign an accept the offer. Any pit experts have any advice? Should I visit a lawyer locally or take any other steps?

Thanks.

What state are you in? It's hard to advise you without seeing the exact language of the release, as well as the language of any contract that you signed with the home inspector at the time of the inspection. Most home inspection agreements include limitations of liability, waivers of warrantees, and other disclaimers.

Back