• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Moving to Boston

WRS

Reaction score
So I shared this on the CT a few days ago but I will be moving to Boston to help with building out my company's presence there. My aunt and uncle live in Andover so I've spent some time in and around Boston but would like some input from the young professional crowd. I just turned 27, my girlfriend will be 23 in August and is looking for a PR/marketing job so we are hoping there will be lots of opportunities for her. Looking to live in a desirable part of the city and stay under $2,500/month for an apartment until she has a job. I've got a list of places to check out that look good.

Any advice is welcome on where to live, things to do, places to eat, etc. We have to be on the ground there by October 1 so we do have some time to work through things.

I'm actually heading to Boston in the morning for a yearly conference. I have zero idea how expensive various parts are, but if I've enjoyed the area between Boston U and Harvard Med. Green line is very convenient for getting around.

Do you have much experience living in the city? Does your girlfriend?

do you want a 1 br? fully furnished? i have lived in basically every part of boston (back bay, southie, jamaica plain, brighton, medford, somerville) so i am happy to help with any questions you have about each part.

Just an fyi for you, a large percent, and I mean like 80% (# completely made up) or rental units turn over on September 1, which is cleverly called "moving day", basically it's when the students come back. I know you said you're coming on 10/1, but if you have flexibility for 9/1, you may have more options.

Because I've owned for the last 10+ years, I've lost track of the rental market and don't know what $2,500 gets you these days. I'm going to guess there's nothing in Beacon Hill for that price.

I too would be happy to try to answer any specific questions you may have. General questions are a little harder to answer. Like, "what to do?" It's a city, so there are bars, sports teams, parks, museums, etc. etc, like any city. Bars do close earlier here than most cities though, which can be a bummer for someone your age. It's irrelevant to me.

$2,500 will go relatively far in Boston, so I'd figure out exactly what your girlfriend's expectations are and go from there.

Thanks for the responses guys. Still trying to piece things together so will probably have questions on specific neighborhoods. We would prefer a younger crowd since we are both under 30. Looking for a one bedroom, preferably unfurnished. Have looked at stuff in Back Bay, South End and Cambridge so far.

Will be there Tues and Wed this week with time at night for activities if anyone has specific suggestions. Will be with a coworker/friend same age who will also be making the move to that office around the same time.

Don't move to the Back Bay. Too fancy; you're not that old. South End or Bay Village would be better, IMO.

i am extremely biased but I would suggest Somerville. You can definitely get a very nice 1 BR for around 1400 a month in a great location (Davis Sq) where there are tons of young professionals and always something fun going on in the city on weekends. Easy to get in the city by T and also plenty of on and off street parking which may be problematic in other areas. As mentioned before, I am happy to help any questions you may have.

I lived a number of years downtown in the Back Bay/Fenway area. I've now been living a couple years in Cambridge and Somerville. Very different atmospheres. Downtown has a lot more life going on. There's restaurants open until 2-3am, bars are busy most nights, theatre, etc. Cambridge and Somerville is more friendly and personal. Bartenders know your name and what you drink. You're more likely to make friends. Restaurants and bars tend to be smaller and more family owned. There are a lot more parks and you can easily escape the city atmosphere.

As far as apartments, you'll get more for your money in Cambridge/Somerville and way more if you want to go to East Boston, which I think will become the new Somerville soon. Downtown expect to pay more and have smaller but often nicer digs.

are you joggers? outdoorsy types? have dogs?

Not really into running but enjoy doing stuff outside. No dogs yet but will probably get one once the move is over and we are settled down a bit.

i am an aboslute shill for Somerville but do think Davis Sq would be perfect. I do agree that you should stay away from East Boston though. People have said it is up and coming for years but it still has ways to go, plus if you are just renting no point in going there. Also agree that Back Bay would be great and you/she would love it. Close to shopping, the Charles, pretty much everything. You would probably at some point spot Giselle walking around too which is nice.

I'm a Davis fan too. Fan enough that I bought my house near it. It's sort of like what Harvard Sq. was before it became a generic mall surrounded by a university.

I agree with most that Davis is a good area, my girlfriend lives between Davis and Porter, so we typically end up in Davis when at her place. Definitely not close to as busy as downtown but there are still a few good bars. Your money would go further around Davis as opposed to downtown.

I recently made the move to Charlestown to be on the north side of the city for the commute and so far like the area (haven't lived there long so don't have much to comment on). I live down in the Navy Yard which is walkable to the North End and the Garden (MGH runs a free shuttle to North Station from the Navy Yard as well), but there aren't that many bars in Charlestown itself. The Navy Yard is a pretty quiet area, have seen a decent mix of young professionals and older people that want to get back close to the city.

Beacon Hill is a nice area, have a friend renting a 3 bedroom for $3400, so I would think you should be able to find something in your price range. Well situated for most of the good spots in the city (Garden, Faneuil Hall, whatever you would want to get to because it's a small city anyway).

Random side note but I grew up and lived in Andover through college, so may have met some of your family before (I'm 25 for a reference point).

Okay bringing this back now that we finally have an apartment. We're in Back Bay right by the Prudential Center so it's an easy 10 minute walk to Fenway and a bunch of stuff in the South End. Tons of stuff close by (bars, restaurants, shops, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's 2 blocks away). I know bdz said not to move to Back Bay but we were really happy with the location and feel that it really puts us in close proximity to a lot of the things we'll want to do. Plus really easy access to Mass Pike for getting out of the city. Planning on moving towards the end of that first week in September to hopefully avoid some of the "moving day" crowds.

Back Bay is a great area in general, but just a little stodgy and sterile now relative to how it once was and the surrounding neighborhoods are currently. Regardless, You're going to love it I'm sure.

Back