• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Moving to Raleigh

Deacsfan27

Reaction score
So I am moving to Raleigh for an internship that starts July 1st and is located close to the heart of the city. The problem is that the internship lasts around 6 months and the prices for rent or extended stay hotels do not seem very reasonable based on the income that I will be making.

Can any Raleigh Deacs offer some advice on where to look or stay during my time there? The internship may turn into a job, which is why I kind of want to keep the lease short in case it doesn't work out as a full-time job. If anybody wants some more information about it to give me a hand just PM me for details.

I know the Pit has a lot of people from around that area so hopefully I'll get some solid advice. Thanks in advance guys.

ETA: As always, all humorous tags are welcome as well!

Last edited:
Craigslist, rent a room from someone?

Can you give some more details on what you're looking for, and where the job is actually located? What's your budget for rent/transportation/etc?

Can you give some more details on what you're looking for, and where the job is actually located? What's your budget for rent/transportation/etc?

The job is located on Highwoods Blvd (near the Capital Blvd intersection). Ideally I would pay around $500-$700 for a 1 BR, but I'm not sure if that's feasible based on some of the prices I saw. I've got a car and can drive if necessary so that's not a big deal.

Wouldn't mind staying in a rented room or basement if that kept costs down, or with roommates as well.

Are you particular about what type of neighborhood you're in? The area surrounding where you're talking about is not a very good part of town...and the traffic on Capital is amongst the worst in the city. I'd suggest looking for something on Six Forks (North Hills area) or Wake Forest Rd (still not the nicest, but not as bad as the Capital area).

Are you particular about what type of neighborhood you're in? The area surrounding where you're talking about is not a very good part of town...and the traffic on Capital is amongst the worst in the city. I'd suggest looking for something on Six Forks (North Hills area) or Wake Forest Rd (still not the nicest, but not as bad as the Capital area).

Not extremely picky, but figured the closer to the place the better due to traffic. If I could get a place that's 10-15 minutes away and the traffic doesn't make it 30-45 minutes then I'd be perfectly fine with it.

Not extremely picky, but figured the closer to the place the better due to traffic. If I could get a place that's 10-15 minutes away and the traffic doesn't make it 30-45 minutes then I'd be perfectly fine with it.

Check your inbox.

Oh, and PM PLEASE...just to go ahead and get that out of the way.

You should look at Calibre Chase Apartments near corner of Six Forks and Anderson Drive. Quick drive from there over to Atlantic and Highwoods. Probably gonna cost more than $500 though.

of course doofus needs a thread about moving to a city 40 minutes from where he grew up

of course doofus needs a thread about moving to a city 40 minutes from where he grew up

Good luck getting to Raleigh from Winston in 40 minutes, especially the other side. It takes at least 2 hours to where I will be working.

...seems totally reasonable to me. just because it's close (and LOL 40 min) doesn't mean you know the ins and outs of what makes sense in terms of traveling/living/etc.

The job is located on Highwoods Blvd (near the Capital Blvd intersection). Ideally I would pay around $500-$700 for a 1 BR, but I'm not sure if that's feasible based on some of the prices I saw. I've got a car and can drive if necessary so that's not a big deal.

Wouldn't mind staying in a rented room or basement if that kept costs down, or with roommates as well.

My old apt building isn't far from there and was pretty reasonable. Manor six forks-- I paid $850 for a one bedroom. It's about 6 minutes to downtown and convenient to north hills/the beltline. I'd also really recommend looking into renting a room fr someone off Craigslist. It's not as creepy as it sounds (everyone does it) and its probably where you'll find the cheapest options of you don't mind having a roommate.

Ill be happy to answer any other questions you might have-- I love Raleigh!

Cottages on Grant, while not exactly world-class, may fit the bill. Good location (near Cameron village), and at least when I lived there, were reasonably priced.

i actually know someone moving out of an awesomely located 2 bedroom townhouse at the intersection of wade ave and st. mary's (near cameron village/downtown). His rent is crazy cheap at like $350 a month or something. I'll see if his roommate has found a replacement roomie yet. He's moving in with his girlfriend or else he probably would have stayed in this house forever.

Back