• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Pickling and Preserving Advice

LadyDeac03

Reaction score
Ok, Pit Gardeners and Chefs, does anyone have good tips, directions, tricks, and/or advice on pickling and preserving foods?

We have a lot of pickling cucumbers coming in our garden, and will likely do some quick refrigerator pickles, but also may want to do some more long-term preserving. I think we may do some green beans as well. And then when our tomatoes get their act together I'd be interested in making some tomato sauce and putting that up.

I ordered some 16 oz Ball Jars from Amazon. And on an impulse also bought a Canning Kit.

I've done a little Googling around on sterilization of jars, sealing, etc, but there seem to be a few different ways to do things and I'd love to hear more about what others have found to work or not work.

Also, if you have any recipes you'd recommend for either refrigerator pickling or long-term pickling, I'd love to hear them!

Not to sound simplistic but one of the first things I did when starting to pickle stuff was to look at the labels of things I liked in the store. Of course you'll get vague things like "spices" but sometimes you get ideas for what creates flavors you like. My favorites are the simplest ones with small, pickling cukes, a nice white vinegar, loads of salt, piles of garlic cloves, a little mustard seed, some coriander seed, and some onion and/or pepper slices. I also use powders with Erythorbic Acid or Ascorbic Acid to help color retention.

I've done pickles and peppers a few times, and though I don't recall the ingredients, it was something simple I pulled off the internet. You throw it all in the bell jar, cover with water in a pot and boil for short while. That seals the lid and then just store on a dark shelf.
I ate the pickles anywhere from 6mo to 5 years later and they tasted fine. Had done sliced, quartered, and whole.

Back