• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP/Pit Travel Agency: Grand Canyon Trip

Baden

Reaction score
A group of friends are starting to plan a trip to the Grand Canyon for late summer/early fall. Does the collective knowledge of the Pit have any suggestions for a group interested in some hiking, some rafting and at least one member of the group who would prefer as little camping as possible? The initial thought is to fly into Phoenix before heading up to the Grand Canyon with a potential stop in Sedona for a day on the way to or from.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I had a hard time finding rafting trips less than 5 days or so. If you find anything shorter, please post it back up.

I'm assuming you are going to the south rim?

A few years ago I hiked down the north rim, stayed at phantom ranch, and hiked back up the south rim the next day. Great 2-day trip and of course you could do one trail down another trail up both on the same rim. Your friend wouldn't have to camp either. But it might already be getting too late for reservations at phantom ranch - I think we had them a year out or something like that.

Rafting trips are going to be a week+. Other than that, there's not much reason to spend more than 2 days there.

I think oars (company name) had some 3 day trips but it was helicopter into the end of a group that had done the 10 day trek

I recommend trying to fit Sedona into your plans. However, I do not think that there is enough to do in town to fill up an entire day. I suggest trying to split your time between Sedona and Flagstaff. The two towns are about 45 minutes apart and the drive on Route 89 takes you through the spectacular Oak Creek Canyon. If you like Mexican, Salsa Brava on Route 66 in Flagstaff is great.

I recommend trying to fit Sedona into your plans. However, I do not think that there is enough to do in town to fill up an entire day. I suggest trying to split your time between Sedona and Flagstaff. The two towns are about 45 minutes apart and the drive on Route 89 takes you through the spectacular Oak Creek Canyon. If you like Mexican, Salsa Brava on Route 66 in Flagstaff is great.

Agree with this. Beaver Street Brewery in Flagstaff is good. I recommend hiking at Red Mountain outside of Flagstaff. Perhaps do the day in Flagstaff, drive to Sedona before dusk, and get a place in Sedona. Spend the morning there, get lunch, and head back to Phoenix.

Back